PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-09-2003, 4:03 PM
I finished a cherry bowl I started last weekend. I rough turned it, then soaked it in LDD for two days. I then let it air dry for four days (only because I couldn't get to it yesterday), then finish turned it today. This is the bowl that I posted a few days ago that had a catch and broke my tool rest. Today, It turned smoothly, with out a hint of a catch. Sanding and a mineral oil finish topped it off. I'm sold on the LDD for green wood. The other picture is of the first pen kits I received in the mail yesterday. Nothing fancy, but it's a start. One's purpleheart, one's cocobola (I think) and the other is cedar from a fence post SWMBO's grandfather made 45 years ago and it was in a wood pile at my FIL's. Thought I'd give it a shot for sentimental value. It turned out pretty good. I used Hut's Crystal Coat finish. Hope you all had a good wood working weekend.

Jim Izat
03-09-2003, 4:33 PM
Nice job Ron. One of these days I'll gonna get me a lathe. Something about the more immediate gratification that's starting to appeal to me.

Jim Izat

Howard Barlow
03-09-2003, 10:23 PM
I bought another Weber Kettle. I had to justify it. It's kinda like, "You have saws out there you've never cut a board with. Why did you buy a new one?" Webers... I got Webers.

So, I grilled 4 Tiger Prawns. 4 prawns = 1lb! Big shrimp! Oxymoron? I'd never seen them that big before. Got them at Central Market @ Weslayan & Westheimer. $23 lb. Man, that's in the lobster league. Taste and texture like lobster, too.

Oh, and a 12 oz. rib-eye. Hey, I gotta eat, man. Since LOML didn't complain about this one, I even fed her. That's why she calls me Mr. Wonderful.:D