PDA

View Full Version : 10 inch swing = 10 inch bowl blank?

Aaron Buys
05-31-2008, 2:33 PM
I've got a small General lathe with a 10 inch swing on it and the manual says it has a "Large 10" inboard bowl turning capacity."

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25100a.html

If I measure from the center of the headstock to the top of the bed it comes to 5 and 1/4 inches. So my question is, can I safely cut a blank to 10 inches in diameter and mount it successfully or do I need to leave a larger margin?

Brian Brown
05-31-2008, 2:49 PM
With my 10 " swing lathe, I can go a 10 inch blank, but found it's not always a good idea for bowls and vases. It is fine for platters or other shallow turnings. The problem is if your blank is the maximum size, the banjo will not be able to pass under the blank. This makes any tool work happen out to the far end of your tool rest. If you have a bad catch, the huge amount of torque can easily break the tool rest off. (I found out the hard way X 3). The larger the bowl blank, the longer the tool rest has to be, and the greater the amount of torque. If you blank is out of balance or out of round, it is advantageous to work near the center of the tool rest, over the post.

keith zimmerman
05-31-2008, 2:52 PM
It is my opinion that if you can mount the blank perfectly centered, it should be no problem to turn. I have successfully turned a 9 3/4" bowl on a Jet mini with a 10" swing.

It isn't easy, but it can be done.

Good luck and show us some photos when you finish it.

keithz

Christopher K. Hartley
05-31-2008, 3:39 PM
I'm with Brian on this one. I wouldn't turn more than will swing with your banjo directly under the bowl. On the some big lathes you can get away with it due to quality materials; however, small lathes with cast banjos are a prescription for an accident when not properly used. I can even deal with the cost and the down time if something breaks but what happens when that broken part launches shrapnel at you?:eek: Not a good thing! Some will say it is ok and they have that right to be as foolish as they want to be. In short "BE SAFE!":)

Andrew Derhammer
05-31-2008, 3:51 PM
I disagree, put the banjo right at the end and move the tailstock at the end of the banjo, use live center to help stabilize the blank. Use the rest in a 45 degree angle to the bed and work the shape, as you work the part going to the bottom more, you can move up the banjo.

IMHO the only reason you'd snap the tool rest or banjo or anything is if you are use a dull tool, or too aggressive of a cut that causes a lot of catching.

Kennneth Sain
05-31-2008, 4:37 PM
This is one area that Grizzly's articulated tool rest is helpful. The banjo can be placed off-center with the toolrest support in line with the blank. Works for me.:)