PDA

View Full Version : Glue choice for loose tenon strength?

Robin Cruz
05-31-2008, 1:27 PM
I'm making a chair. Prototyping it right now and using loose tenon approach. Tenon size varies from 1 to 3" and 3/4" min depth. Is one glue or another going to make a stronger chair? I have yellow glue and plastic resin glue on hand.
thanks for any advise:)

Mike Henderson
05-31-2008, 1:38 PM
I use epoxy on chairs but I'm sure other glues will work. The only long term issue is that the joint at the back of the seat almost always comes loose over hard use and time. You can glue over epoxy without any problems.

Mike

Robin Cruz
05-31-2008, 1:49 PM
i know there is slow setting epoxy which would be fine for me. I only see small 2 or 3 oz portions. can one purchase quart sizes or so of slow setting epoxy online? I might also run a dowl through that rear seat joint.

Peter Quinn
05-31-2008, 1:58 PM
I have had good luck using West Systems epoxy, which happens to be available in various open times at my local lumber yard. I have used the friendly folks at Jamestown distributors, who sell via the internet for other products, they carry the west systems line (I think direct linking is now prohibited here, so google Jamestown Distributors and check them out for starters.)

I can't give you specific advice on chair making but I use the same glue with loose tenons I'd use with integral tenons, tite bond I or III depending on the application. Epoxy is no slouch either, just a bit expensive and messy for most of what I do.

Mike Cutler
05-31-2008, 7:04 PM
i know there is slow setting epoxy which would be fine for me. I only see small 2 or 3 oz portions. can one purchase quart sizes or so of slow setting epoxy online? I might also run a dowl through that rear seat joint.

Yes

Almost all of the online woodworking supply places, ie Rockler, Woodcraft, etc, have epoxies. Usually it will be either System Three, or West. Both are excellent epoxies.

Epoxies run quite a bit more for an equal volume than PVA's. Once you use them though, it's hard to go back to PVA glues.
It's pretty nice having assembly times that can be up to an hour. ;)

Robin Cruz
05-31-2008, 8:41 PM
thanks. I see Rocker on line has the West and you buy seperately different hardeners for different cure times. I have a Rocker near me and I will check out the store to see if they have it. Online they also show a T-88 that looks convenient but no cure times stated. I try the West first at the store.
thanks again