PDA

View Full Version : Bessey, Irwin or Jet clamps

Kevin Gagne
05-30-2008, 11:46 PM
With the deals going on right now and some discounts I have I can get these three brands for about the same price. What one is the best?

Mike Heidrick
05-30-2008, 11:58 PM
For the same money I would buy the Jet from the mfgs you listed. I like the handle. I own both Bessey and Jets.

Chris Kennedy
05-31-2008, 5:26 AM
I would go with the JETs. I have both and for the same price, the JET is superior. I particularly like that you can screw bench dogs into the back to mount them on your workbench.

That being said, with some of the sales on Besseys, I am considering a few more. They are very good clamps and you can never have enough clamps.

Cheers,
Chris

scott spencer
05-31-2008, 6:39 AM
I own Jet (http://www.amazon.com/Jet-70424-2-Parallel-Clamp-Pack/dp/B000UBH336/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1212234214&sr=1-8) and Stanleys (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LY5A7S?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=yahoo-tools06-20&linkCode=asn)...both are great clamps but both have pros and cons. The Jet has a rulered bar which is handy to preset the jaws, and they have the quick release lever....the lever is great when you have clear and easy access to it, but sometimes when the clamps and workpiece are in position the levers can be hard to get at and are cumbersome to reach. It's quicker and easier to slide the jaws on the Stanleys in those critical situations during a glue up. I replaced the cheap plastic stop at the bottom of the Stanleys with a bolt.
89682 89683

Randal Stevenson
05-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Bessey and Jets.

Isn't that a song? :D

mike holden
05-31-2008, 1:35 PM
I would buy by price (include shipping in cost!) first, then all else being equal, I would lean toward the jets, but they are ALL good clamps, I have some of each, and outside of pairing them up so they sit level, dont care which I grab.
Mike

Pete Harbin
05-31-2008, 1:56 PM
Only have the Besseys here. I haven't even put my hands on the Jets yet.

Pete

glenn bradley
05-31-2008, 2:05 PM
The Jets have some great features but like the Irwins are heavy to manuever. A 24" Jet is over 15lbs according to their website (I was curious, I thought they felt heavy). I only weigh about a buck-fifty so a 6lb. k-body is easier for me to work with.

mike holden
05-31-2008, 4:10 PM
Glenn,
Are you sure about the weight? The jets are heavier, but not that heavy. Are you sure that is not the weight per pair? Lifting two besseys in one hand and a jet in the other, the besseys are heavier (2b vs 1j) but individually, one to one, the jet is heavier than the bessey. Suppose I should get a scale out, but I am lazy.
Mike

glenn bradley
05-31-2008, 5:02 PM
Glenn,
Are you sure about the weight? The jets are heavier, but not that heavy. Are you sure that is not the weight per pair? Lifting two besseys in one hand and a jet in the other, the besseys are heavier (2b vs 1j) but individually, one to one, the jet is heavier than the bessey. Suppose I should get a scale out, but I am lazy.
Mike

Yeah, that seems way-high. That's gotta be shipping weight or something. Oh, here it is . . . that's per pair and they're in a "pack". Now I feel better :o That seemed awfully heavy. Thanks Mike.

Larry Crim
05-31-2008, 6:02 PM
I have JET and Bessey I vote for the JET's
larry

Chris Barnett
05-31-2008, 9:16 PM
Gee, for the longest time, the Besseys were the cat's pajamas. Now, its Jet, who were not mentioned previously. Is Jet the same manufacturer as in Jet mini lathe?

Dave Lehnert
05-31-2008, 9:29 PM
Gee, for the longest time, the Besseys were the cat's pajamas. Now, its Jet, who were not mentioned previously. Is Jet the same manufacturer as in Jet mini lathe?

YES it is. Boy I sure do hate that "message too short" that pops up just by entering "YES"

Dave Lehnert
05-31-2008, 9:33 PM
I think I will hold out for the new Bessey clamps. The new ones will be able to adjust the front jaw down the bar to even out the weight. Something that will be handy when you have to use your longer clamps for short clamp ups.

Deck Reagan
05-31-2008, 9:34 PM
Jet all the way!

J. Z. Guest
05-31-2008, 11:27 PM
How about keeping the money in the US for a change?

My vote is to spend a couple extra dollars and buy Jorgensen. Folks always overlook this brand, but they are top quality, and still made in the USA. They are really not that much more than Jet, and you won't be sending your money to Taiwan or China.

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/8000-img.jpg

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/cm-8000.htm

Jake Helmboldt
06-01-2008, 9:04 AM
The Jet's are Chinese made, which is one reason I've not jumped on them. Jorgies are US made and Besseys are made in Europe. I have a hard time paying equal money for something made in China compared to a US or Euro product.

BUT, I've not been too impressed with Jorgies customer service. I have their bench vise and had a horrible time getting in touch with them. Then they finally got back with me but their email system then had additional problems and kept bouncing back when I tried sending them my mailing address. I finally gave up on trying to get the replacement part I needed.

Dave Lehnert
06-01-2008, 10:13 AM
How about keeping the money in the US for a change?

My vote is to spend a couple extra dollars and buy Jorgensen. Folks always overlook this brand, but they are top quality, and still made in the USA. They are really not that much more than Jet, and you won't be sending your money to Taiwan or China.

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/8000-img.jpg

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/cm-8000.htm

When they first came out they had a problem with the casting breaking in the head. Have you had such problems or know what they did to correct it?

Chris Barnett
06-01-2008, 10:24 AM
So much for Jet...will not buy their stuff now. First the price of their mini went up 50%, then they wanted 25% restock fee for a tool than I had not even unpacked. Griz gets all my business when I can send it their way. Will be ordering a jointer so will just go there and pick up clamps and other must haves. Had just purchased the 40 and 50 inch Besseys, but think I would prefer the type with the screw handle like pipe clamps. Wonder if they are made with bar instead of needing pipe?