PDA

View Full Version : Problems with LN small crosscut saw

Thomas Kila
05-30-2008, 9:11 PM
I am learning to handcut dovetails using Rob Cosman's DVD. However, when using my LN small crosscut saw to remove the tailpins at the end of the tailboard, my saw veers (quite) sharply to the left. (Even when using pressure in an effort to cut straight.) This causes me to cut below the scribed line. I have since learned to start the cut further away from the line and just pare the remaining material with a chisel. However, I would just like to know if anyone else has that problem. It should be noted that I am left-handed.

Also, I am able to make a straight cut in end grain using my LN dovetail saw.

Thanks!

Mike K Wenzloff
05-30-2008, 9:28 PM
Hi Thomas,

First, may I suggest you contact Lie-Nielsen? Makers of things would always appreciate a "first chance" to diagnose, make suggestions and or replace their goods.

Typically, when a saw cuts off to one side, it is indicative of that side of the saw the kerf veers towards having more set--the bend of the teeth--than the other side. This is easily remidied by "stoning." Stoning is simply laying the saw down on the edge of a bench (or other flat surface) with the side of the saw the cut wanders towards face up and lightly running a sharpening stone (not a soft waterstone) from the heel of the saw to the toe--the part under the handle to the far end of the saw.

The sharpening stone should mostly be on the saw plate with about 1/3 of the stone over the edge of the teeth.

One light stroke, test cut, another stroke of the stone if needed and so on until it is cutting straight.

But...consider contacting LN first in case they desire to see the saw that hasn't been altered since they sent it, or folow their advice if you are comfortable in doing so.

Take care, Mike

Rostislav Grigoriev
05-31-2008, 5:32 AM
I would like to second the advice Mike K Wenzloff gave you. Recently I received PAX 12 ppi crosscut saw and had the same problem. Three light passes of DMT 220 almost resolved the issue. Since I want to maintain (mostly learn how to) my tools myself, I decided to keep this saw and set and sharpen it later.

Ray Gardiner
05-31-2008, 7:53 AM
Mike is correct, you just need to remove a little set from the side it is
cutting towards. I have a long sanding block with 600 grit glued to it and
just one light pass, is usually enough to make it cut straight.

However, if this is a new saw, then I would suggest that LN should be
made aware that it wasn't properly set and tuned. And return it to them
for a tuneup.

Long term, I would suggest that you learn to sharpen and set saws
yourself it is easy to do (to an acceptable level) and you will learn much in the process.

That said, there are many levels to sharpening and tuning saws, and some
of the subtleties seem like black magic at first. It is a deep and fascinating
subject.

Ultimately it is what makes or breaks a saw, regardless of all other factors.

Tony Zaffuto
05-31-2008, 8:46 AM
I would like to offer an additional view: since the original poster is learning to cut dovetails, is he certain his technique is correct? When making the crosscut on the pins I find I must be particularly careful to have the stock at the right height, plus be knife-marked accurately. Before assuming a problem with the saw, I would make a number of practice cuts, first to let the saw break in a bit and second to hone my technique. These cuts are very shallow and it doesn't take much more than a slight twist of the wrist to make the cut go off.

T.Z.

John Thompson
05-31-2008, 9:05 AM
Excellent advice from everyone. Tony has made the point that you need to attempt to idenify the actual problem first before taking action with LN as Mike and the others have suggested.

It could be the saw as suggested as "if" the teeth are out of set as Mike mentioned.. that would be the most likely culprit "if" the problem is the saw. But.. "maybe" the problem is the technique as Tony suggested and LN can't fix that.

Stance.. starting a kerf and proper arm action are very critical and can lead to the same problems that improperly set teeth can produce IMO.

Good luck....

Sarge..

Thomas Kila
05-31-2008, 6:09 PM
I really appreciate all of your advice. I'll review my technique and if I find it is not that, then I'll try adjusting the set.

Jack Camillo
05-31-2008, 9:57 PM
btw Mike, what's the current lead time on your halfback saws?