PDA

View Full Version : delta sliding table attachment

Bob Cooper
05-30-2008, 8:42 PM
A local tool supplier was unloading some tools that they couldn't sell and i bought what i thought was a good deal...a sliding table attachment for a Unisaw. Well, supposedly it fits a unisaw, a shaper or a contractor's saw. Anyway i read the instructions last night and it says that you have to remove the left cast iron wing of the saw. That's not really something i want to do. Also it's directions talk of cutting part of the bar that the traditional fense rides on. I have a beiz fense which it doesn't even talk about. So now i'm thinking i may have something that's fairly useless.

Do any of you have any experience with this particular component? what are your opinons on it?

Alan Schaffter
05-30-2008, 8:57 PM
Most sliding tables require that you remove the left table wing. It is just bolted on with three bolts- easy to do. You shouldn't need to cut the fence rail (bar)- just remount it further to the right.

Bruce Wrenn
05-30-2008, 9:13 PM
Another option is to look for a used Delta contractor's saw and put sliding table on it. When I rearrange my shop, I will be doing just that. Because with sliding table you don't do bevels, or dados, a contractor's saw is adequate. The fence on the saw isn't used to set cutting distance either, rather the fence on the sliding table. Do a Google for "Delta sliding table review."

Joe Chritz
05-30-2008, 11:25 PM
If it is the same one I have used it is an OK unit.

Like Alan says just move the fence to the right and re mount a sticky tape. the sliding table operates as the left extension table.

I haven't had any issues with dadoes or bevels. Just remove the sliding table fence when you want a "regular" saw to use.

I did find that the rail the fence runs on is a bit in the way from where I normally stand.

Joe

Bob Cooper
05-31-2008, 10:39 AM
i read the reviews...boy are they all over the map. One other issue i may have to contend with. My Unisaw is a left tile X5 and Delta says this won't work on a left tilt saw. My saw does have a big plastic cover on the left side...maybe that's the issue?

David DeCristoforo
05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Got one sitting in storage. Feeble attempt to add sliding table capacity to the Uni. Lightweight, difficult to adjust, even more difficult to keep adjusted. Plus I have a permanent bruise on the inside of each thigh (uncomfortably close to some highly valued body parts) from constantly hanging myself on the steel bar that the table rides on. You can have it if you want to come and get it. Or pay the crating and shipping and I'll send it to you......