PDA

View Full Version : Porter-Cable 121 OSS

Bruce Page
04-11-2004, 1:59 PM
Hey guys,

I have been thinking about getting the Porter-Cable portable spindle sander, model 121. I bought the BOSS bench top system before they came out with the 121 and sometimes (often) the table on the BOSS just isn’t big enough.
Does anyone have any opinions on the PC 121? I don’t see myself doing a lot of hand held work with it, but a 121 in the router table seems like a perfect match. Also, does anyone know if the BOSS system rubber drums & sleeves will fit the 121?

BTW, Amazon has the 121 for $239.99 with a $25 rebate, or $50 rebate if you buy $300+ worth of PC stuff before 4/30/04

Happy Easter!

Dave Bartley
04-11-2004, 3:08 PM
I had a chance to use the 121 before I bought my floor model. It seemed to have lots of power with a minimum of vibration. In the handheld mode, I did not care for it because it was hard to see the line you were trying to sand to. Combine that with out anyway of doing a dust collection, and it is very difficult to use accuratly.

I finally decided on the the Shop fox unit. It has 9" spindles, ranging from 1/4" diameter, up to 4" a total of 9 spindles. It also has a table size of 29" X 29". Were I in your place, I think that I would sell the boss and with just a little more $$ you could have the the Shop Fox floor Model. You can check it out at www.shopfox.biz.

I hope this helps. Dave

Bruce Page
04-11-2004, 3:24 PM
Thanks Dave, I did think about a bigger floor model (briefly) but to me, one of the BIG benefits of the 121 is that it will go into the router table and not eat up any more precious floor space.

Tony Falotico
04-11-2004, 8:31 PM
Hey Bruce, I just purchased mine on Friday, check out this thread for other comments:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8426

Tony.

Bruce Page
04-11-2004, 8:38 PM
Hey Bruce, I just purchased mine on Friday, check out this thread for other comments:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8426

Tony.
Thanks Tony. Did you get the $25 rebate with it?

Tony Falotico
04-11-2004, 8:42 PM
Thanks Tony. Did you get the $25 rebate with it?

They didn't give me anything, didn't know about the rebate until after I left the store :eek: (Saw it in the catalog he gave me), but I DO plan to get on the PC website and send in for it. :cool:

Bruce Page
04-11-2004, 8:55 PM
They didn't give me anything, didn't know about the rebate until after I left the store :eek: (Saw it in the catalog he gave me), but I DO plan to get on the PC website and send in for it. :cool:
Tony, go here and print it out; http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004WGQD.01.RB01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's a Porter-Cable program so it shouldn't matter where you bought it from.

25 bucks is 25 bucks!

Ps, Have you played with it yet?

Dave Richards
04-11-2004, 8:59 PM
Bruce, I have been using my PC121 mostly in the router table. For no more often than I find myself needing a spindle sander, I think this is a good use a space and the thing works just fine.