PDA

View Full Version : Off center, dyed and limed bowl

keith zimmerman
05-30-2008, 4:54 PM
I have started down a couple of new paths recently, that being off-center bowls and dyed and limed bowls. This bowl is Catalpa that has been turned off-center, then dyed with black leather dye, then limed to enhance the grain. The bowl is about 6" in diameter.

This is the third bowl on my off-center path and the first to be both dyed and limed. I am quite pleased with the result and have already amassed a lot of new ideas on this journey.

Thanks for taking a look at it and comments are definitely welcome.

keithz

Brian Brown
05-30-2008, 5:58 PM
I really like it, and the liming helps accentuate the grain.

Allen Neighbors
05-30-2008, 6:08 PM
Keith, this bowl is absolutely gorgeous! It looks like Marble. The liming really brought out the grain, but your turning placement of the grain was impeccable. I still want to see the chuck you made for off-center turning. :)

Christopher K. Hartley
05-30-2008, 6:32 PM
Keith, fantastic job! I like every aspect of it. Keep going down those paths.:)

Jim Becker
05-30-2008, 6:54 PM
That's very kewel, Keith!! The combination of the "off center" and the liming is wonderful on this piece.

Brett Baldwin
05-30-2008, 7:12 PM
Great combo effect. Your cuts were very well placed.

Curt Fuller
05-30-2008, 9:00 PM
Keith, I like everything about this bowl. I really like the off center look and you picked a great wood in the catalpa for the liming. Very nice!

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Keith - interesting design concept! Really like the contrast between the wood and the grain! Being off-center really makes yours eyes work a little overtime figuring out the grain, the lip, the finish and size. Unique piece! Looking forward to seeing more!

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Keith that is beautiful. Looks like marble. Well done.

Glenn Hodges
05-31-2008, 8:39 AM
It is different and that is my cup of tea, I like it.

curtis rosche
05-31-2008, 9:03 AM
that looks like a swirl or "VORTEX!" with the way the grain is, thats awsome!

Burt Alcantara
05-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I like this. The color is interesting and the off-center turning gives it a good dimension.

Well done!
Burt

Clara Koss
05-31-2008, 12:26 PM
i agree with curtis...VORTEX!!!! it is sooo great looking and i love the liming as well.... never saw that look before unless i had something old outside forever...what made you think of doing that???? make more!!!! tall ones short ones skinny ones fat ones....love the detailing...when i think i've seen it all one of you comes up with something like this....;)