PDA

View Full Version : How about supplies from Harbor Freight?

Ben Cadotte
05-30-2008, 2:07 PM
I did the power tool post and was wondering if you don't buy power tools from them for one reason or not. How about wood working supplies? I buy when they are on sale in the ITC section or normal sale section. Never buy at their normal pricing.

I buy 50 count shop rags for $5.97. 1/2 of what Sam's club sells them for. Auto stores are 2x - 3x Sam's cost.
1/2" acid brushes. I order 5 packs at a time and use them for glue. $.97 last time I ordered.
Latex gloves. Buy them when on sale $2.97 box. Buy size for me and my wife. 2x as much or more anywhere else.
Sanding belt cleaners. Just started using them and works as advertised. Not quite as dense as big brands (lighter) but work great. $2.97 I think.
Foam brushes when on sale. 10 or 20 count depending on whats on sale.
Have not tried chip brushes or their "good" brushes. But the price on them when on sale make it tempting.

Matt Meiser
05-30-2008, 2:32 PM
The chip brushes are great for non-critical painting, etc. I even use them for shellac on shop-grade projects. I use all the things you mentioned. Don't use the red rags wet around wood though--the dye bleeds out (which is true of any I've bought.)

I've had good luck with some sanding belts and discs I bought for my belt/disc sander and with ginding supplies for my 4-1/2" angle grinder too. Not as good with wire wheels for the angle grinder, though for the cost difference they might not be bad overall.

Ben Cadotte
05-30-2008, 2:49 PM
Don't use the red rags wet around wood though--the dye bleeds out (which is true of any I've bought.)

Funny you mention the dye. As I use them and throw them away. I never indended to keep them. Well one day I guess I must have had a new one in my pants pocket.

The following day I did some laundry. Of course I grabbed what ever was around that could go in with darks. That evening I was called into the laundry room. What did you put in the wash was the question abruptly put to me as I came in. I said just clothes. She then started pulling stuff out of the dryer that had a nice light red tint to everything. As she kept digging. She pulled out 1 faded pink shop rag. I was just like Tim Allen on home improvement. Ohhhhh. :D

So lesson learned. Check pockets before leaving shop for anything!!!

Richard M. Wolfe
05-30-2008, 2:55 PM
Let's see, what comes to mind?

Latex gloves are good. I use their brads and staples for pneumatic guns and have had no problems that I could pin (excuse the pun :rolleyes:) on them. For sanding items it depends on the item, but have generally had reasonably good service from them. Since they don't sell coatings that's about all I can think of offhand.

Jerome Hanby
05-30-2008, 3:07 PM
I've had problems with their acid brushes, I end up picking bristles out of my glue. That may be true of any brand, I haven't tried others.

Matt Meiser
05-30-2008, 3:30 PM
That may be true of any brand, I haven't tried others.

Yes, in my experience.

Josiah Bartlett
05-30-2008, 3:40 PM
Their sandpaper tends to shed grit really easily but supplies like nitrile gloves are good, and they carry AO safety respirators so I get those there.

I also buy their saw blades for demolition work. They suck for fine stuff but for anything where you know you are going to hit a nail they work fine.

Tom Hamilton
05-30-2008, 3:44 PM
A wise man on another forum said, HF stuff can be a good buy as long as it doesn't have a motor on it. My experience with non-motorized HF goods bears that out. Gloves, hole saws, clamps, digital calipers and so on. Use the email/flyer coupons and you can really save money.

Tom

Lee Koepke
05-30-2008, 4:06 PM
And items i consider disposable tools. I still have a 1/2" hammer drill that works fine, a 14V cordless that got me thru a kitchen renovation, angle grinder, and a sawzall ... all less than $20 .... all intended for single uses and have well outlasted their expectations.

I also got a grease gun, nitrile gloves, chip brushes for glueing, WD40, sandpaper ... its fun to shop there, when I have something spinning high speed at me, no chance. If i want precision, nah ...otherwise .. enjoy !!

Kevin Ladenheim
05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
I have found that cranking down the acid bush where the bristles are mounted in the handle in a bench vise helps keep the bristles in the handle.

Jerome Hanby
06-01-2008, 8:03 AM
That sounds like a great idea, I'll try that!

I have found that cranking down the acid bush where the bristles are mounted in the handle in a bench vise helps keep the bristles in the handle.

Anthony Whitesell
06-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Ditto here on all of those items, except for the foam brushes. I found the craft store AC Moore to have the best on-sale price 20/$1 and off sale they're still cheaper.

Ben Cadotte
06-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Ditto here on all of those items, except for the foam brushes. I found the craft store AC Moore to have the best on-sale price 20/$1 and off sale they're still cheaper.

I'll have to check out AC Moore. Thanks.