PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman - lack of support

Alfred Hoffmann
05-30-2008, 1:44 PM
A couple of years ago I bought two 14.4V power drills from Sears/Craftsman. Apparently they discontinued this line in lieu of the higher powered drills. So I am stuck with two perfectly good drills whose batteries will not hold a charge anymore. And no replacements available at Sears. Does anyone know who Sears supplier/manufacturer is? The origin of the batteries is China - where else? I found a source that will rebuild the batteries for $45/piece plus S/H.
Any help would be appreciated. The drills are still available from some suppliers but not individual batteries.

Ben Cadotte
05-30-2008, 1:54 PM
On the web or ebay are many many companies that sell "replacement" batteries. For me its not wanting to pay $65 dollars for a Dewalt replacement battery for a drill they sell for $99 now (drill, battery, charger, case). I am down to my last "Dewalt" battery. I will be trying the "replacements" pretty soon. Also there are several places that will rebuild your Craftsman batteries!

Joe Scharle
05-30-2008, 1:56 PM
Just a reminder; RIGID has lifetime warranties on their tools and includes batteries.

Jerome Hanby
05-30-2008, 1:59 PM
Really? Have you ever had a battery replaced? I need to look at it again, but I thought the lifetime warranty on my Ridgid planer was just for the labor...

I'm a big Ridgid fan and if they payed off on the batteries that would be pretty good incentive to replace my failing battery powered gizmos with theirs!

Just a reminder; RIGID has lifetime warranties on their tools and includes batteries.

francis gunde
05-30-2008, 2:42 PM
Really? Have you ever had a battery replaced? I need to look at it again, but I thought the lifetime warranty on my Ridgid planer was just for the labor...

I'm a big Ridgid fan and if they payed off on the batteries that would be pretty good incentive to replace my failing battery powered gizmos with theirs!

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Chris Padilla
05-30-2008, 2:49 PM
Do a search either through Google to general cyberspace or just here in SMC but you should find the names of some firms that will take your batteries and redo them for you.

You send the batteries in, they take them apart, refurbish the interior, and then send 'em back to you good as new or better than new depending on what you order.

One of my Festool drill batteries died on me. $140 or some odd bucks for a new one so I'll be giiving some firm like I described above a shot because I know it is at least half the cost and probably even less.

http://www.primecell.com/ Found one.

Ben Cadotte
05-30-2008, 3:04 PM
One of my Festool drill batteries died on me. $140 or some odd bucks for a new one so I'll be giiving some firm like I described above a shot because I know it is at least half the cost and probably even less.

Not trying to start a fight. But for the initial cost of Festtools, I would be rather annoyed that a battery failed and the company tells me its $140 for a new one??? I mean they are charging a high premium for their tools. If the battery is several years old, and has been recharged more times than one can count. I understand it will wear out. But the fact is, unless the battery lasts 2x to 3x another brands (they don't), what are they charging the premium price for battery wise??

Now having said that, I think other brands sells their batteries for a high proffit as well. I have a Dewalt 12 volt I just love. Both my original batteries have died. The one replacement I bought was over 1/2 of what they now sell the drill, battery, charger, case, extended driver, and a couple tips for. Basically they are saying the battery is more than half the cost of the entire kit. Or is it more likely they know your locked into their tool and they can get away with making extra money on a replacement part!

So in my opinion $140 for a battery is absolutely outrageous!! Again especially for the premium charged for the tool in the first place.

If anyone is offended I appologize, but that just seems to be way out of line!

Chris Padilla
05-30-2008, 3:06 PM
Ben,

I'm about 5 months outside the 3-year warranty in which they would have covered my defective battery so I would have had to bite the bullet. I'm not shocked at the price but there are other ways to skin this cat thanks to www.primecell.com (http://www.primecell.com), who I'll give a shot to refresh my battery.

Interestinlgy, I have two Festool drills, the oldest one's batteries are fine near as I can tell. It was the newer, more powerful one whose battery went south on me.... At least I have two batteries (and two drills) so I'm not down at all.

Ben Cadotte
05-30-2008, 3:14 PM
I am an extremely easy going guy. But something like that failing just outside the warranty window and then finding the replacement cost. That would have torqued me quite a bit. Good you can find a repair place for it. Hopefully its a good quality repair, as Festtools are a pretty big investment. I know if it comes down to it. I can toss the Dewalt and get the newest one out there. But with a Festtool that would be a bit harder to do.

Now having bashed Festtool for the outrageous prices on parts. I am looking at purchasing 2 of them the last couple days.:cool:

Jim Becker
05-30-2008, 3:17 PM
Contact 'Creeker Jason Able as another potential supplier of what you need to get that drill/driver running again like new. I used his battery rebuilds for my Dewalt 14.4 last year and am completely satisfied.

Ben Cadotte
05-30-2008, 3:26 PM
Contact 'Creeker Jason Able as another potential supplier of what you need to get that drill/driver running again like new. I used his battery rebuilds for my Dewalt 14.4 last year and am completely satisfied.

Whish I had kept my first 2 Dewalts. I tossed them into the recycle can at HD when I picked up the replacement. I am guessing HD actually gets a little money for them from a repair place. And they probably get redone and sold as repaired by some of the online places. Kinda like used golf balls. :D

Bobby Nicks
05-30-2008, 4:29 PM
A couple of years ago I bought two 14.4V power drills from Sears/Craftsman. Apparently they discontinued this line in lieu of the higher powered drills. So I am stuck with two perfectly good drills whose batteries will not hold a charge anymore. And no replacements available at Sears. Does anyone know who Sears supplier/manufacturer is? The origin of the batteries is China - where else? I found a source that will rebuild the batteries for $45/piece plus S/H.
Any help would be appreciated. The drills are still available from some suppliers but not individual batteries.

These batteries should still be available. Go to Sears.com and click on parts, then enter the model number of the drill. You will get a list of available parts for that drill which should include the batteries.

Bob

Brian Weick
05-30-2008, 4:32 PM

that statement, and the batteries have no more memory~ thank god for lithium , when it goes , it goes, and that lifetime warranty~ How can you go wrong.

I totally agree Joe!
Brian

Charlie McGuire
05-30-2008, 4:48 PM
I had Jason Able rebuild some Milwaukee batteries a while back, and they turned out well. I think his outfit is battery rebuilders or something like that.

Howard Acheson
05-30-2008, 6:32 PM
Here is a firm who does an excellent job on rebuilding batteries. Service is good and prices are right.

http://www.mtobattery.com/store/

Howard Acheson
05-30-2008, 6:40 PM
The Ridgid long term support is a "Lifetime Service Agreement", not a warranty. Their warranty is the standard three years if I recall correctly. It covers hand held power tools. You must register the tool close to when you purchased it. It includes all parts and labor including items that wear out like batteries You make your claim to Ridgid, not Home Depot.

Jim Becker
05-30-2008, 7:07 PM
Here is a firm who does an excellent job on rebuilding batteries. Service is good and prices are right.

http://www.mtobattery.com/store/

Howie, that's Jason Able's outfit. :)

Peter Quinn
05-30-2008, 7:10 PM
Having recently shopped for cordless tools for my BIL, it is my opinion that weight and balance are the primary problems with the RIGID drills I held. I can't speak to the warranty or battery life, but man, those things are BRICKS, which is good in a chimney, not so much in a tired hand at the end of a long week.

I have been beating my Makita drills for years now, I keep waiting for those batteries to die or the clutches to give up. So far so good. I always run them dead and then charge them full. How can I justify a new LI drill if the old ones won't quit?

So if the Craftsman has given up its ghost, I say tell Sears good buy, get a new Makita LI for not so much more than the cost of rebuilt batteries, then tell me how you like it.

Alfred Hoffmann
05-30-2008, 7:15 PM
Thank you all for your response! And yes - I used the battery search section provided by Sears. Nothing - only a referral to Lenmar - a remanufacturer of out-of-date batteries. I will be sending them to one of the rebuilders suggested by you.

Dave Sabo
05-30-2008, 7:47 PM
Ben I think you need to temper your agnst a bit. You have no idea why Chris' battery is no good or what time frame it happened in and conditions under. Festool is the sort of company that just sends out new parts if there seems to be defects. Double if the things still under warranty.

Just because it's more expensive doesn't make it head and shoulders bove the rest. Battery technology is fairly closed end proposition. If you have a NiCad pack and I have a Nicad pack that uses a little bit better cells than it's going to last a bit longer and provide a bit more power than yours. I'll charge for that xtra bit. But, it is by no means going too last 10 years of normal uase just cause its better.

You really should be rioting against the Black & Decker suits. They are the ones charging 75% of a new kit for one battery. Festool's battey at 140 is expensive, but as a percentage of teh TOTAL kit cost it's somewhere in the 30% range. A real bargain considering the euro exchange rate.

Steve Flavin001
05-30-2008, 7:48 PM
CHARGE OFF HALF-INFORMED. You fail to state the specific model number. Out here in CA Sears DOES sell some individual replacement batteries and also sells them through an acquired hardware chain (Orchard Supply OSH). Rebuilding these batteries - e.g. generally Ryobi tools under Sears label - is questionably cost-effective, but first supply a drill's model number, please, and I'll walk in and see what they have, and get back to you.

Purchase cost is about $45 - $50.

Harley Reasons
05-30-2008, 8:55 PM
FWIW: Ridgid does have a Lifetime Service Agreement(LSA) on their cordless tools. This LSA starts after the three year manufacturer's warranty expires if you register the tools within 90 days after purchase. Registration requires you to fill out the enclosed card, provide a duplicate receipt and the UPC symbol from the box. The LSA does cover the batteries that come with the set. Any additional batteries you may purchase only have the 3 yr warranty on them.
Still all in all a great deal. I have talked with several of our Ridgid tool customers that have utilized the LSA for battery replacement and none have reported problems. Just mail it to One World Technology in SC and get a new one mailed back.
BTW, for those that don't know. Ridgid is a trademark of Emerson Electric Co. who licenses it to One World Technology who then contracts with Techtronics, Inc (TTI) of China to produce the tools. TTI also manufactures the Milwaukee tools, Ryobi tools, Crapsman tools, Homelite products and Hoover products. And, these are just the ones I know of.

Carl Heidesch
05-30-2008, 8:58 PM
I also patronized MTO... about one half the price of new from Dewalt, fast service, I'm very happy with them !
Carl :)

Larry Browning
05-30-2008, 9:02 PM
I hope you have better luck in getting them to replace your "lifetime" battery that I did. If you did, tell me how to do it, I am VERY interested. I get this deer in the headlights look when i ask at the store.

glenn bradley
05-30-2008, 9:06 PM

Another vote for Jason. He rebuilt some DeWalts and some Makitas for me. The price was a little less than the original battery BUT, I had them built to the next level up (there was one more level up but I was unsure. . . I will do it next time). They really hold a charge and pack a punch compared to the ones that come with the drill. Same charger works for the rebuilts.

Chris Barnett
05-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Have taken apart a few battery operated tools here and replaced with new batteries with just a few minor solder joints. If you have a battery shop nearby (like Batteries Plus here) they can provide the internal batteries and perhaps show you how to take the package apart. Or perhaps this information is available somewhere on the web.

Howard Acheson
05-31-2008, 1:35 PM
>> I hope you have better luck in getting them to replace your "lifetime" battery that I did. If you did, tell me how to do it, I am VERY interested. I get this deer in the headlights look when i ask at the store.

See my post above. The "Lifetime Service Agreement" requires that you have registered your tool within 90 days of purchase and that you return the batteries to OWT or to a Ridgid Service Center. Home Depot is not involved and has nothing to do with the "LSA".

Ben Cadotte
05-31-2008, 2:01 PM
Ben I think you need to temper your agnst a bit. You have no idea why Chris' battery is no good or what time frame it happened in and conditions under. Festool is the sort of company that just sends out new parts if there seems to be defects. Double if the things still under warranty.

Just because it's more expensive doesn't make it head and shoulders bove the rest. Battery technology is fairly closed end proposition. If you have a NiCad pack and I have a Nicad pack that uses a little bit better cells than it's going to last a bit longer and provide a bit more power than yours. I'll charge for that xtra bit. But, it is by no means going too last 10 years of normal uase just cause its better.

You really should be rioting against the Black & Decker suits. They are the ones charging 75% of a new kit for one battery. Festool's battey at 140 is expensive, but as a percentage of teh TOTAL kit cost it's somewhere in the 30% range. A real bargain considering the euro exchange rate.

I agree the others are making a very nice proffit on their battery spares. Thats why I believe Festtool is making an even higher proffit on their battery spares. I have yet to see any comparison where Festtools battery outlasts any other "good" competitors by even 10% or more. So why the over 100% extra cost for a spare battery? Especially if you agree the batteries it compares too are not that much lower in construction. I looked it up and the same volt and amp hour rated battery from Dewalt and Festtool, is $55 for Dewalt and $115 for Festtool (12v, 2.4amp). Both have 2.4 amp hour rating, ie they will last for about the same amount of time. Like you said in the 2nd paragraph, nicad batteries have probably reached their climax in design capabilities. So most likely they are of very similar design and components. So again why the over 100% higher price for the Festtool? If B&D is guilty of over pricing spares. What would you say about Festtool at 2x the ammount?

Festtool has made some very good tools with some very good engineering and added features that other manufacturers have not thought of or included with their tools. But is there any added engineering in their batteries? I doubt it.

This is just my opinion and obviously Festtools is doing quite well. So others don't mind paying what I consider extra for their batteries. I just have some issues with it. That wont keep me from buying Festtools. But I would probably not buy a battery powered tool knowing the costs of the spares. I have been looking at their 6" sander and will probably order it as a birthday gift for myself.

Dave Sabo
05-31-2008, 7:34 PM
Festtool has made some very good tools with some very good engineering and added features that other manufacturers have not thought of or included with their tools. But is there any added engineering in their batteries? I doubt it.

Ben, where does simple economic theory sit in your assesment of the battery problem???

How much does the Asian worker get to assemble the Dewalt? How much does the German make that assembles the Festool? Think the Asian has a dental plan? 8 weeks vacation. If Festool uses higer quality cells, how much would that add to the whole chain before it found its way into your toolbox. What about the currency situation? Last time I checked the dollar was still pretty good vs. the baht & yuan. Let's say their margins and profit are higher, wouldn't they be justified given the increased risks and lower slaes potential?

You seem to be adverse to someone making a profit on something you feel is a comodity. A few guys here have commented on the despot's lifetime warranty...................and how they can't figure out how to use it. Folks don't have that problem with Festool , you call them, they ask a few questions and send you a call tag. It's the same reason that an oil change at a Lexus dealer is $75 while the $19.99 at Grease Monkey. Both use 6 qts of oil, a filter, and a wrench. How can it possibly cost 4 times as much? Or that switch button tha costs you 29 bucks to replace but only cost $2.20 when it was charged to the vehilce on the assembly line. Parts divisions have to pay employees, bonuses, and show a profit too.

Ben Cadotte
05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
You seem to be adverse to someone making a profit on something you feel is a comodity. A few guys here have commented on the despot's lifetime warranty...................and how they can't figure out how to use it. Folks don't have that problem with Festool , you call them, they ask a few questions and send you a call tag. It's the same reason that an oil change at a Lexus dealer is $75 while the $19.99 at Grease Monkey. Both use 6 qts of oil, a filter, and a wrench. How can it possibly cost 4 times as much? Or that switch button tha costs you 29 bucks to replace but only cost $2.20 when it was charged to the vehilce on the assembly line. Parts divisions have to pay employees, bonuses, and show a profit too.

Well we just differ on "value" of service then. As I would never pay $75 for an oil change just because a $12 an hour employee spends a couple minutes to call me.

BTW the price for US customers is apparently a deal. The $115 12v 2.4amp battery sells for 125.37 euro from Festtool in Germany!!! Thats nearly $200 for a 12v battery (over $200 due to the fact they have to pay the EU 17% VAT).

fRED mCnEILL
05-31-2008, 11:53 PM
"How much does the Asian worker get to assemble the Dewalt?"

How much does it cost him to rent a house/apartment or to buy food or clothing etc. Its all relative.

Fred Mc.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-01-2008, 9:58 AM
Fred,

Recent reports indicate a lot of families there are buying their first cars. The report indicating GM had a dramatically expanding market there. So, the cost of living is relative.

Harley Reasons
06-01-2008, 10:34 AM
"How much does the Asian worker get to assemble the Dewalt?"

Fred Mc.
Asian workers are paid very little if anything for assembling the Dewalt products I've seen. Now what is paid to the Mexican workers is a different story/

Dave Sabo
06-01-2008, 12:15 PM
How much does it cost him to rent a house/apartment or to buy food or clothing etc. Its all relative.

Fred, you illustrate my point exactly. That's why a German tool/part costs more than an Asian one! Realatively higher standards of living cost more money and add more overhead to an end products cost. Like tools that cost more are not priced higher just because one owner/group of shareholders wants a Learjet and the other is satisfied with a nice Cadillac.

Ken Dembny
06-04-2008, 1:45 PM
At one time Ryobi supplied them with some hand tools.