PDA

View Full Version : Boxes from the UK

Geoff Hanha
05-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Cherry box with ebonised lid finial size 23cm x 11.5 approx
I was given a load of cherry last week so cut it up for blanks and this little bit was just an end cut was going to throw then
thought i would turn and see what the wood looked like, glad i did now. How many have i thrown.

Brown ash with a finial of hormbeam with a couple of inserts of pewter, the brown ash i used was a small branch i had picked up
some years back walking the dogs, the thing about making boxes is that you can pick up wood from anywhere, never over look a small
branch, i get to make small tool handles from a lot of branch wood.
size is 16.5cm x 6.5cm approx. Geoff

http://www.shapewood.co.uk

steven carter
05-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Jeff,

Great boxes, how did you do the pewter inlay?

steve

Geoff Hanha
05-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Jeff,

Great boxes, how did you do the pewter inlay?

steve

Hi steve the top was turned then make your inserts the size you want, melt the pewter and pour into the recesses you have made, then return the top, pewter is very soft no problem to turn.
Turn in sit or make up a mould then do your inlays, hope the pics help.
Pewter can be got from all places ebay old plates tankards, markets junk shops. cheers. Geoff

Jerry Rhoads
05-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Very nice boxes Geoff.
And thank for the little tutorial.

Jerry

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-30-2008, 3:36 PM
Geoff
Very nice boxes. Well done. You really like making boxes don't you? I would like to know how to make them pewter inserts or whatever you call them. Nice job b. Mitch

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2008, 3:57 PM
Great looking boxes Geoff. Thanks for the info on the pewter inlay.

Geoff Hanha
05-30-2008, 4:42 PM
Great looking boxes Geoff. Thanks for the info on the pewter inlay.

Your welcome Bernie, its always good to pass on something, never know when you get something back. A cheque would be nice:D Thanks Bernie..Geoff

Ron McKinley
05-30-2008, 4:50 PM
Cheque's in the mail!

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Very nice work on both of the boxes Geoff! Really like the Ash - the form, color and the way the lid is part of the form instead of just sitting on it. The pewter really adds some interesting design elements to the piece! Don't see much pewter work this side of the pond! Very nice work - looking forward to seeing more!

Glenn Hodges
05-31-2008, 8:32 AM
These are unusual and different, and that is what I like.

Geoff Hanha
05-31-2008, 9:45 AM
Very nice work on both of the boxes Geoff! Really like the Ash - the form, color and the way the lid is part of the form instead of just sitting on it. The pewter really adds some interesting design elements to the piece! Don't see much pewter work this side of the pond! Very nice work - looking forward to seeing more!

Steve glad you like them, and i love the ash myself have a little more and have a friend with a nice tree at the back of his place i thought the winds were going to take it last week, i think it will be mine very soon:D. I am starting to like this forum plenty of good work my guys and always nice to see diff designs and what can be captured by looking at so many varied works, have found a couple of forums that the guys are very clicky and no humor, and its good to have a laugh and to be able to ask something, i find a lot of turners keep ideas and technques to themselfs, i find that a shame as to pass information on helps so much, there is always someone to add a bit more. You do good work Steve always look forward to seeing your stuff. Anyways enough waffle thanks, and thanks to all the other guys for the good comments to, have fun shaving ..Geoff