PDA

View Full Version : Different speed band saw?

Alfred Hoffmann
05-30-2008, 9:55 AM
I just got my 14" Jet BS. One of the options offered are conversion pulleys for different blade speeds. Should I invest in these? How many of you have this option and is it of any benefit?

Wilbur Pan
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
For cutting wood, you really only need one blade speed, and the range of useable speeds is so wide that it's nearly impossible to not be in the range.

Pulleys for bandsaw speed changes is more important for metal cutting. So if you plan on using your bandsaw for metal cutting, I'd look into it. If you are only cutting wood, you can take a pass.

Travis Rassat
05-30-2008, 2:31 PM
Looking at the manual online for the 14" Jet bandsaw (I'm not sure if it's the exact same one you have or not), it says the speeds produced by the 708114 3-speed kit are 965, 1470, and 2465 spfm. The metal cutting bandsaws I've seen cut at much lower speeds: 80-200 spfm. So, I guess I don't know what this 3-speed kit will really buy you.

Ben Cadotte
05-30-2008, 3:22 PM
I have a 4 speed saw (HF version). I have never changed the speed. Should I? Probably when using my 3/4" resaw blade. But it cuts just fine, no buring, gullets seem to clean out fine. I believe I have it on the 2nd highest fpm. But honnestly don't remember. Been in the same position for 6 years.

Bob Slater
05-30-2008, 3:48 PM
I was told by a knowledgeable tool vendor that the multi speed bandsaws do not go slow enough for steel. You need one with an idler pulley or gearbox to get it turning slow enough.

Mark Kosmowski
05-30-2008, 9:35 PM
The HF BS goes down to ~500 fps, which is too high for steel but not outrageously high. That is part of the reason I got my HF BS. I haven't needed to use it for steel yet, but would be willing to try with the proper blade and copious lube.

Depending on the steel (type, size, etc) you want 50 - 300 fps.

David Giles
05-31-2008, 9:33 AM
Cutting plastic material is much easier at slower speeds. At higher speeds, the heat tends to melt the plastic before it cuts it. A wood bandsaw only needs one speed.

Eddie Darby
06-01-2008, 7:39 AM
These web-pages gives lots of info on blade speeds, and should help answer your question.

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Bandsaw-Tuning.html

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Bandsaw-Using.html

There was also a recent thread about two weeks ago on calculating bandsaw speeds that would be interesting.