PDA

View Full Version : Modding T4 router--input please

Phil Thien
05-30-2008, 8:27 AM
I wanted a small (1-HP) plunge router with good dust collection. My choices were limited: The Trend T4 (available for $80 to $130 depending on where you find it).

[Link to Trend T4 router] (http://www.trend-uk.com/en/US/product/U*T4EK/2/2/router_14%22_11_hp_110v_usa_cw_kitbox.html)

Of course, I went with the T4.

The T4 is the replacement to the T3. The T4 adds a more powerful (850-watts instead of 500-ish watts). It also adds a spindle lock and a couple of other improvements. It is variable speed (though I think the T3 was as well).

One thing they didn't address (or didn't get right) was the plunge action. I've read that the T3 had some play in the plunge (I've never tried one). I figured maybe they'd fix this in the T4, but it could be better.

I should note that when locked, the bit is perfectly square to the base. The problem really seems to be between the posts and the bushings (only one of which seems to have a steel insert--kinda weird) and only while plunging.

Now, I could return the router and get something else. But like I said, there are really no other products that fit all my needs. For $99, I'm happy to make some adjustments.

Anyway, I took it apart and figured I'd investigate options to tightening the action up. My thought is to spread a very thin layer of epoxy mixed with graphite powder (in a 10:1 mixture), to the insides of the bushings. I'd do this towards the top and bottom of both the left and right bushings. I figure I can take my time and start with minuscule amounts and build it until it is "just right."

I've never attempted anything like this before (well, that isn't entirely true, I modify many of my tools). I do know that graphite mixed with epoxy is often used as an emergency bearing surface for field repairs. It is quite slick and very durable. And I wouldn't even be asking that much of it (no rotation, just sliding).

But perhaps I'm overlooking another simpler solution (and don't suggest returning it, I'm committed to making this one better).

Any thoughts?

Phil Thien
05-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Reply to my own thread...

Before I left for work I took a piece of ribbon (gift wrapping). I was able to assemble the plunge base with the ribbon between the post and the bushing. The ribbon is .006" (I think) thick and approx. 3/8" wide. It took most of the play out of the plunging.

So when I got to work I discovered that McMaster sells .0045 and .0065" thick UHMW tape (among other thicknesses) that is 1/2" wide. So I've ordered those and I will attempt to use the tape to line the bushing.

I also noticed that removing the spring on one side makes the unit act in a more linear (but perhaps slightly crooked) fashion.

I'm hopeful the UHMW tape works. If it does, this is gonna be one sweet plunge router. The only problem has been the play in the plunge. On the plus side it is nicely balanced, has plenty of power, has a dust collection shroud you can leave on while changing bits, has a better spindle lock design than my big DeWalt, etc. And you can apparently get these for as little as $85 (according to someone at woodnet).

Oh, the other downside: Power cord is only six feet.

I'll post back after trying the tape.