PDA

View Full Version : Building a cornhole set!

Adam Cavaliere
05-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I have played this game many times and have finally decided that I'd like to try building my own set.

Most standards call for 1/2 inch plywood to be used. Myself being a woodworker, thought that I could try doing a glue up rather than using plywood.

I am looking for suggestions as to why this may not be the best idea, or if it is a good idea and I should just go for it!

Here is one of the sites that describes the rules for the equipment:
http://www.americancornhole.org/cornhole-rules-equipment.shtml

I think they use plywood for cost sake and not because it is the best thing to use, but I have been wrong before!

Thanks for any input!

Joe Chritz
05-30-2008, 6:16 AM
I just saw a video version of that game at a night time hangout. Never even knew it existed.

Anyway, plywood is still probably best for stability. MDO which is designed for outdoor signs would be even better.

Some moisture will get drawn up from the grass and I assume if like my place they will get left outside at some point.

Plywood will generally be lighter, stronger and easier.

Solid wood, like Ipe or some other exotic decking material would have high style points for sure and would work great.

The game is a blast and I will have a set or two before this summers giant hog roast.

Joe

ETA: If you have a good source for bags post that to if you would.

Harry Smith2
05-30-2008, 6:28 AM
Having never played and looking at the website you sent. I would think that ply is used b/c it has a flat surface and is not as likely to warp. If you join boards together you would need to make sure all joints are sanded smooth. Creating the perfect playing surface. You could always use ply as a backer and laminate a nice hardwood on top, just making sure to sand all the joints even. Just my thoughts........

Jeff Miller
05-30-2008, 6:50 AM
osb I've seen that used and it's fine.:D

JEFF;)

Brian Erickson
05-30-2008, 7:35 AM
There's a great website www.cornholeplayers.net that has a design gallery, and also some fantastic building instructions. I just made my second set and would recommend plywood as well. My next set will use 3/4" for the top, just because the 1/2", without any bracing, tends to be very bouncy.

The bags are pretty simple to make yourself, but there are some resources on that site to purchase them as well...

Brian

Adam Cavaliere
05-30-2008, 7:59 AM
I would easily be able to plan them down to even thickness and ensure the whole playing surface is smooth if I went the glue up route. I have just been thinking a natural wood look would look great.

I picked up red oak for this project and have realized these will be some pricey boards if I decide to go with the glue ups.

Is the overall opinion that plywood should be used because it is a cheaper option, or a better sound option?

On last bit of info is that these boards being glued up will be 6 inches wide as that is as wide as my jointer can handle.

Larry Fox
05-30-2008, 8:04 AM
Humm - I know nothing about the game but I think a name change might really help up the chances of it becoming an olympic sport someday. :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-30-2008, 8:04 AM
One wonders at the etymology of the name.

Heather Thompson
05-30-2008, 8:14 AM
One wonders at the etymology of the name.

Somehow I knew that would be mentioned.

Heather :rolleyes:

Justin Leiwig
05-30-2008, 8:21 AM
I would think that Oak would be extremely heavy and not easily transportable.

I would build them as cheaply as possible because it always seems that someone spills beer on them or trips on them and crushes them when drunk or the kids think they are a jungle gym. Not to mention the fact that they sit outside most of the time on the wet grass. Stick with plywood and housepaint.

You're missing the spirit of cornhole if you try to gussy it up. Take the oak back, get a couple 2x4 pieces of 5/8" plywood and some 2x4s and you'll probably have enough money left over to make yourself a set of hillbilly golf towers from the plumbing department.

Adam Cavaliere
05-30-2008, 8:29 AM
I doubt anyone could crush them if they were made out of 3/4" red oak :)

Ian Roth
05-30-2008, 10:22 AM
A few years ago I purchased bags from this fellow. I have no idea if he's still in business, but they are good quality bags and have lasted me a few years now... Good luck! It is a fun game.

Bob Heil
1270 Cassandra Ct.
Cincinnati, Ohio 45238
phone: 513-922-3850
E-Mail: rjdcp@zoomtown.com

Ian

Jim Broestler
05-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Just built a couple sets last weekend. I used 3/4 cabinet grade birch ply (which at the HD Borg is the same price as B/C ply), so I get a nice, smooth surface, and 2x4's. Got a 6" hole saw to cut the hole, and they went together really fast.

Just make sure to clear coat them or use a tough exterior paint, in case they get left outdoors in the rain.

The dimensions I found were 24"x48", with the legs 12 9/16 long with a 27 degree angle cut, and the hole was centered 9" from the top. Just in case anyone wonders.

James Hart
05-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Obviously there's a double meaning, but the origin of the name refers to the fact that the bags were originally filled with hard corn.

FYI, a voice of experience- the 1/2" plywood is used on purpose to give the board some bounce. Better players throw with a spin or arc that keeps the bag on the board in spite of the bounce. If you build one with a 3/4" top, you change the dynamics of the game. I had some recent college grads over recently who really liked to play. After a game or two they quit because the 'board was dead.' It would be like playing tennis with a wooden paddle.

harry strasil
05-30-2008, 12:25 PM
RV clubs have been playing that game for years, but they call it a bean bag toss.

Chris Padilla
05-30-2008, 1:33 PM
Adam,

I was reading the forums there...seems you posted on there as "airedale" ? :) Interesting site and game--never heard of it. Looks like they have a lot of fun painting their boards!

Adam Cavaliere
05-30-2008, 1:49 PM
Chris,

I hadn't seen that forum until I posted here. Every other cornhole forum I came across seemed pretty much dead or very low activity.

Yes, I did post as "Airedale". That is the name I usually use on message boards I frequent. If we weren't going by our names on this board, you guys would see me as "Airedale" :)

Chris Padilla
05-30-2008, 2:15 PM
Well I'm all a giddy now after souring that website. Looks like fun and a good easy project to build with my daughter. I was looking at some of the plans some folks posted...sigh, such amatuer woodworkers! ;) hahaha

I'm thinking hard maple, mitered corners all around with Dominos or biscuits, walnut inlay around the cornhole and just inside the top, nice decal of some kind with a pre-cat clear lacquer finish! :eek:

:D

Richard M. Wolfe
05-30-2008, 2:31 PM
Well I'm all a giddy now after souring that website. Looks like fun and a good easy project to build with my daughter. I was looking at some of the plans some folks posted...sigh, such amatuer woodworkers! ;) hahaha

I'm thinking hard maple, mitered corners all around with Dominos or biscuits, walnut inlay around the cornhole and just inside the top, nice decal of some kind with a pre-cat clear lacquer finish! :eek:

:D

What, no rosewood and ebony? :D:D

I too had never heard of the game. Not surprised there is a giame like it, though. Everyone seems to have played some kind of game, like horseshoes or this, at sometime or other......tossing an object from some distance to score points. When I grew up we played innumerable games of washers.

Chris Padilla
05-30-2008, 2:39 PM
What, no rosewood and ebony? :D:D

I too had never heard of the game. Not surprised there is a giame like it, though. Everyone seems to have played some kind of game, like horseshoes or this, at sometime or other......tossing an object from some distance to score points. When I grew up we played innumerable games of washers.

Yeah, you're right! I also forgot to dovetail the corners and boxjoint the top into the frame and then add rosewood and ebony splines in the corners!

Adam Cavaliere
05-30-2008, 3:29 PM
Chris,

Not sure if you were joking or not about the hard maple, but that was sort of the route I was taking with the red oak. I really did want to dovetail the frame and also route the edges. Sadly, I think I am going to be going the plywood route because of the difference in game play one may notice when playing on such a hard wood vs a bit springier of a plywood.

Justin Leiwig
06-01-2008, 6:39 PM
I doubt anyone could crush them if they were made out of 3/4" red oak :)

Never played cornhole on a farm in Ohio have you? :D

You take a 6' 5" 350 lb drunk farm boy and I think they could crush pretty much anything when they finally pass out and fall on the boards.

It's just easier and quick to buy the already cut 2x4 pieces of plywood at lowes or home depot and spend quality woodworking time on more rewarding projects.

That's my opinion on it. Take it for what it's worth from this Ohio farm boy.

Adam Cavaliere
06-01-2008, 6:48 PM
Well I pretty much went down that route. I decided to get a sheet of oak plywood and use that. I like the grain pattern too much not too, plus the pine was just too nasty to justify it.

I did decide to skip any nails or screws and I am biscuiting the whole thing. The clamping is taking forever. It seems you can never have enough clamps when you need them!

Just need to create the legs and cut the holes and I am all set!

Jack Camillo
06-01-2008, 8:01 PM
what the h*** is cornhoe?

Adam Cavaliere
06-02-2008, 9:23 AM
what the h*** is cornhoe?

http://www.playcornhole.org/whatis.shtml