PDA

View Full Version : Which spokeshave to get?

Tom Wiarda
05-29-2008, 8:23 PM
Father's day is coming up and I might drop a hint for a new spokeshave. Has anyone had experience with either the LN Boggs or the LV Veritas shaves? The LV model has screw-type adjustment and shims to adjust the mouth opening. The LN model has manual adjustment and a tighter mouth. I admire Brian Boggs work and am making one of his rocking chairs now. I have a Stanley 151 and a Kunz which I have used a lot but would like to try a nicer one. I work a lot with green wood making chairs. If you have an opinion about either of these shaves please share it. Thanks.

Don C Peterson
05-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm no expert on this subject, I only have one spokeshave which happens to be the LN with the flat sole. I bought it for a specific project and I really like it. Adjusting the blade depth might be easier with a screw type adjuster, but after a couple of tries I was able to get the LN adjusted perfectly.

Michael Faurot
05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Awhile back I acquired a complete set of Veritas spoke shaves (flat, round and concave). I can't say that I'm an expert with spoke shaves, as these are the first and only ones I've ever used. They all certainly seem to work very nicely, were ready to go to work out of the box and take fine shavings.

John Thompson
05-30-2008, 12:00 AM
I have a LV I used just to-night, Tom. I have used the Boggs at Highland WW here in Atlanta. If you use them one after the other.. you notice a bit different feel in both due to the design. But both are just matter of getting used too. I think you would be happy with either as I know I would.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Brian Kent
05-30-2008, 12:20 AM
I apologize that these are not as expensive, but here are the spokeshaves I use most often:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46321&cat=1,41182,46334

I also made the Lee Valley kit and fixed up a metal stanley knock-off, but I use the "2 for $24.50" rosewood tools more.

I would love to try either of the ones you are talking about - especially the Veritas. Maybe you could treat yourself to the rosewood pair at a later date.

Hank Knight
05-30-2008, 4:36 AM
Tom,

I have a Boggs shave from Lie-Nilesen that I like a lot. The mouth opening is narrow and it takes a fine shaving. On the other hand, it doesn't hog off heavy shavings very well. If there is such a thing as a "finish shave" this is it.

I recently acquired a Stanley 85 "razor edge" shave and I really like it. It is adjustable for both heavy and fine work and if feels great in the hand. I understand that the Veritas low angle shave has a number of similar design features. I've heard good things about the shave, but I've never used one. If I were buying a new shave, I'd probably get the Veritas low angle one.

My $.02.

Hank

Bess Kilmaren
05-30-2008, 1:51 PM
Brian -- are those spokeshaves comfortable to use over extended periods of time, e.g. when planing square stock round? The "handles" look a little small. Or are they primarily for finishing/smoothing?

James Carmichael
05-30-2008, 2:18 PM
Fine WW did a spokeshave review a couple years back, both low and high-angle. In the high-angles, the Veritas flat (below) took best overall and Kunz (151-style) best value.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49142&cat=1,50230&ap=1

Johnny Kleso
05-30-2008, 9:56 PM
I like Wood Bodied Spoke Shaves and would say this
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44834&cat=1,50230&ap=1
LeeValley comes closest

Bill Fleming
05-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I have a couple of the Boggs and love them - adjustment no prob and I love the way it is possible to easily adjust to cut differently at each end of the blade at the same time.

Brian Kent
05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Brian -- are those spokeshaves comfortable to use over extended periods of time, e.g. when planing square stock round? The "handles" look a little small. Or are they primarily for finishing/smoothing?

They just seem to work so well for me that the handles are comfortable and I can adjust it easily for a "hog it off" or "smooth out the details" choice. Having said that, I do like to have my full size spokeshaves available and sometimes switch off for comfort and variety. I do that with handplanes too.