PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi Cordless Drills?

Cliff Newton
04-11-2004, 7:59 AM
What's the scoop on Hitachi cordless drills? They're cheap and comfortable to hold. Are they durable and easy to use?

George Summers
04-11-2004, 8:10 AM
Can't give you a long term report, but I bought a 12V about three months ago (Christmas monies) and it has done everything I have asked so far. You're right, it is comfortable.

George

Todd Burch
04-11-2004, 8:40 AM
I have two Hitachi cordless tools. One is a drill and the other is an impact gun. Both are 9.6 volts. I've used the snot out of the impact and only "used" the drill. I like the drill, but I LOVE the impact. The drill works, but for actual drilling, it just does not have the RPMs that an electric drill has to clear chips and endure long drilling sessions. But alas, it's only 9.6 volts too (several years old).

My impact is probably 10 years old, and still going strong.

At some point in the future, I see a new Milwaukee cordless setup in my collection - all metal inside - no plastic. Pretty heavy duty.

Terry Hatfield
04-11-2004, 8:51 AM
Cliff,

I bought the Hitachi 14V combo deal at Lowe's and I have been very satisfied with it. Good power and the batteries seem to last quite a long time between chargings.

Terry

Ken Miller
04-11-2004, 8:55 AM
I have the 14v, less than a year old, the older version. I believed they redesigned the handle. On mine, the chuck is just awful. It doesn't hold a bit very well unless you tighten it with every thing you got and another little annoying feature is how slowly the chuck spins when opening or closing it for a larger or smaller bit. If you have a small bit chucked and now have to open it up for a larger bit it takes what feels like an eternity. I don't know if they use a new chuck on the newer versions, but I would compare it to a more expensive brand and see the difference.

Mark Singer
04-11-2004, 9:23 AM
I have many Hitachi tools....no cordless though, I love them all! I have the portable planer, hand drill, and CMS all great!

Kelly C. Hanna
04-11-2004, 10:55 AM
At some point in the future, I see a new Milwaukee cordless setup in my collection - all metal inside - no plastic. Pretty heavy duty.

I have the Milwaukee 18v Lok Tor cordless hammer drill....I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's a heavy beast, but no cordless has ever come close to being this powerful in the 18v category. You'll love it!

Cliff Newton
04-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I have the Milwaukee 18v Lok Tor cordless hammer drill....I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's a heavy beast, but no cordless has ever come close to being this powerful in the 18v category. You'll love it!

I have a Milwaukee 14.4 volt I bought on clearance at HD for $99.00 and it rocks. I also have a Dewalt 9 volt that has just about petered out and I'm looking for a cheap replacement. If batteries for the Dewalt were cheap I'd just buy a new set. I figure for the price of the batteries, I might as well just buy a whole new drill.