PDA

View Full Version : Laserpro Explorer II 30 watt laser upgrade?

Chris Schlemmer
05-29-2008, 6:40 PM
I have read in many areas on Laserpro's website that their lasers are easily upgradable but can't find any more information on doing this. Has anyone upgraded their laser before? Do I purchase this upgrade directly from LaserPro? Any idea on the cost? Is there any exchange value in the current laser?

Thanks!
Chris

Vicky Orsini
05-29-2008, 8:29 PM
I was told that it would cost somewhere in the vicinity of $5000 to upgrade my 30 watt to a 50 watt. I've been told that it's a fairly simple process, since the tubes are in self-contained units - a simple swap-out.

Rodne Gold
05-30-2008, 1:38 AM
Find out before upgrading if the installed power supply will cope with a more powerful laser , also determine if the motherboard will support that brand of tube , Explorers came with synrads and Deos sources , you might have to upgrade within the family of tubes it came out with.
I would also determine whether the upgrade is "sensible" in that if you are trying to speed up stuff cos your laser is overflowing with work , it is most likely a far better plan to get another lower powered laser......We did things that way and currently I have 6 x 30w lasers running and we put out a LOT more stuff than lets say , 3 x 60 watters would

Richard Rumancik
05-31-2008, 2:20 PM
The only way I would upgrade is if I could buy the 50 watt surplus or on eBay and do the retrofit myself. This would mean buying a new power supply, as the 30 watt machine does not have the power for a 50 watt laser. Not sure how much it costs from from GCC but you might find a MeanWell electronics supplier that can sell you one. I would think it would be $300-$500 but probably more from GCC. Ask them. If you have a Synrad tube I'd say you will probably have to stay with Synrad for the upgrade or you may find mechanical complications. You would probably have to move some minor parts from the old laser to new, and may have to do some minor harness change. (Such as if the replacement laser has a keyswitch). If the new tube is water cooled you may be able to add fans and keep it air cooled. Adding water cooling would not be nice.

I would think that if you buy a used tube and power supply it would set you back $5-6K used. (eg laserresale.com sells used Synrad tubes). You have to be able to do some work yourself and possibly have some tech assistance.

I don't know if this is a good strategy or not. I would certainly keep the old tube as a spare.

Richard Rumancik
05-31-2008, 6:06 PM
Chris, contact your rep and get all the facts directly. I assume you have the Laserpro already? If not they will still give you the info.

Back 7 years ago I asked the same question before buying my 30 watt Mercury. The answer back then (and things may have changed a lot) was that it would cost about $17,500 to upgrade from 30 watt to 50 watt PLUS I had to return the 30 watt tube to them. It really wasn't a viable option in my opinion. If you get a real quote let us know.