PDA

View Full Version : "Hold Fast' Vacuum Chuck System

Ken Glass
05-29-2008, 5:17 PM
Hey Fellow Turner's,
Does anyone have or have used the 'Hold Fast" Vacuum System from Packwood? It uses a Vacuum Generator and regulator and your own Air Compressor to convert to a Vacuum. It is a very compact looking system. It says you must have 2.5 cfm to get up to 20 inches of vacuum, which should be plenty for most vacuum chucking situations. It comes with either a 3" or 6" vacuum chuck head. It seems like something I could use if it worked well.
Let me know your thoughts.... Here's the link:
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=110931R&Category_Code=

Scott Hubl
05-29-2008, 6:39 PM
Ken,
I own TWO of the HoldFast systems.

I bought a 1X8 for my Jet 1442.

Then a 1-1/4X8 came my way, so I bought it also for future use.
Why? Because they WORK! they are SILENT in use.( They do NOT whistle and scream like some have tried to claim)

I have used the 1-1/4X8 unit on my new 3520B just FINE.

Yes your compressor runs, I have a 6HP with 60 gallon tank and a very small pepboys cheapy to throw in the car and use with nailguns and such.

Neither runs excessively. Runs a little bit and shuts off and takes quite awhile for it to drain down to start the compressor again and then only takes a minute to refill to full and shut back down.
I have tested it out with both of my compressors.

I can get 20-24HG

I have both the 3" and 6" bells(chucks) for the 1X8
(The 6" is standard)
I need to order a 3" for the 1-1/4X8 setup

I bought the 1X8 at Hartville Tool os a really GOOD sale they had.
Their Summer sale Daily WN forums sale is coming up soon and may be back on it on one of the daily specials.

I bought the other one from a friend who picked up several at his local Rockler who had mistakenly put them on clearance.:eek:

Let me tell you there are ALOT of MISconceptions and MISinformation on these units and most of it is by people who have NEVER used one.

Spreading their misconceptions by others misinformed word of mouth.

HoldFasts website is actually - StickFast DOT net

Watch the Video with Dave Hout on their website.
On their website they show one in use with a standard "pancake" type compressor.

These units are ready to go you just cut the lamprod to length and connect a compressor line.

I added a better air filter to mine from Menards.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/HoldFast/loose-fit-1.jpg
(This pic was to show a missized filter to blue hose but a new proper one was sent to me real fast without any problems they were in the middle of a design change and an older fitlet fitting got mixed up.)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions from an actual user.

I have absolutely NO ties with HoldFast or StickFast.

And I own a 220V Gast Pump.

Gordon Seto
05-29-2008, 9:19 PM
Dave Hout did a demo for our club earlier this month. He developed this system. He said a new 4 CFM system has been developed.
It may worth check that out. He also had the new sharpening jig with him. Because of the constrain of time, our members chose to watch the sharpening system.

He said the old generator can only generate 2 CFM of vacuum. He explained that it is not only how many inches of Hg matters, but ideally vacuum chucking should have 4 CFM of vacuum. Some wood is more porous than others, air leaks through end grain more than side grain. We need the volume to compensate for the air leaks.
Some wood like this can be a air hog.
http://70.169.135.35/showthread.php?p=841197#poststop

The amount of holding power is proportion to the size of the vacuum chuck. The down side of the new 4 CFM vacuum generator is that it requires a bigger compressor. It needs 4 cfm of compressed air at 70 psi. The vacuum power peaks at 65 psi of compressed air. Too high air pressure actually causes turbulence at the Venturi valve and causes vacuum to drop. The unit should already have a built in regulator.

He said his sharpening jig would be introduced at the AAW Symposium, sold by both CSUSA and Packard. Someone posted in another forum that CSUSA has introduced them at Provo already, but it is not in the catalog yet.

He brought the new vacuum generator with him. I guess they may already be available.

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks Scott for the info. I have been looking at one of those but held off because of some of the negitives going around.