PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Knot

Mike Golka
05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Has anyone made a segmented knot like the one in this piece? :confused: I have some ideas about how to go about it but was wondering if I might benefit from someones experience. I believe the best approach would be to design the segments to end as indicated in the pic. I think one would need several sanding jigs to get the pieces to fit right.:rolleyes:

curtis rosche
05-29-2008, 4:24 PM
for this one you may want to pm bill wyko or malcolm tibbets

Mike Golka
05-30-2008, 7:46 AM
Looks like I may be on my own:(.

robert hainstock
05-30-2008, 8:00 AM
Or, why I don't segment.:eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Mike, if I were to build this feature ring, I would create two diferent types of segments. The X's would be mitered segments and the horizontal elements would be another style of segment. The trick would be to dimension the X's so that their ends accurately meet the ends of the parallel pieces. As with any kind of design such as this, it's a matter of "mapping" out the assembly steps so that you only have to glue together flat surfaces, sanded flat on the disc sander. You don't want to have to "fit" pieces into openings. Think: "laminate", not "inlaid".

Mike Golka
05-30-2008, 3:53 PM
Malcolm that was my initial thoughts as well but then I realized that the only way to make the angles of the X match is miter them. This requires one to fit pieces inside others to achieve the effect:( By the way the item shown is by Alex Wallace. Unfortunately he does not have an e-mail address posted on his site. http://www.awallacestudio.com/

Bob Way
05-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi Mike,

Looks to me like that segment is created in a kind of Ray Allen method. Layered strips are made then they are either cut or sanded to an angle. I took a few minutes and did a basic drawing of it to give you an idea. Being it's a Saturday morning and not raining yet, wife has some outdoor plans that seem to require my time and energy, but I look forward to wrapping it up later.

Anyhow, here's what I've got so far. Hope it helps.

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Mike, I visited Alex's site. This photo answers most of the questions:

http://www.awallacestudio.com/methods/5.html

The trick is to make sure that the width of middle horizontal purpleheart strips is conssitent so that the components line up. And of course, during the final glue up, extra caution is required to line up those horizontal components.

Mike Golka
06-02-2008, 2:03 PM
Okay, this is how I see it. Laminate the strip pieces first, miter the individual pieces as shown in the attached sketch and then very carefully glue it all up. Sounds easy , right?:rolleyes:

Bob Way
06-02-2008, 6:47 PM
Yep, that's where I was headed with my first response. The center section is the one that I keep thinking might have a solution as part of gluing up the strips. But, so far I've not been too successful getting a laminated strip drawn out and manipulated that will work. Your's looks to be the most likely solution.

I don't know if you have a disk sander, Mike, but I found when doing the attached Ray Allen design it was much less threatening to my sense of well being, and gave me more accurate angles. I was using up small scraps from left-over projects to begin with, so I jigged it up using the suggestions offered by Ray and Malcolm in their books. It's a nice technique for making segments to add to segmented options.

I look forward to seeing your results.