PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc chuck problem

Stephen Henderson
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Hello to all,

I bought the 3.5" Vicmarc chuck a few months back and love the chuck, with one exception:

Twice now, I have used the screw attachment, and both times, I've been unable to get the screw out of the wood after turning the foot. Locking the spindle just lets the chuck unscrew with the wood. I've tried using the little tommy bar thing but can't get enough purchase on it. Last time, I had to use vice grips to get the stubborn thing out, but i wound up marring it a bit,a and would like to avoid that.

Any thoughts? Am I using too small a pilot hole? What size hole do any of you use when using the screw attachment?

Thank you!

Stephen

Paul Heely
05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
On my OW screw I use a 3/8" hole. I usually lock my chuck to the spindle and don't have problems with the chuck unscrewing if I do that. Other than that on my old chuck I did on occasion have to remove the screw with pliers but it was never tight enough once out of the chuck that I marred the screw in any way.

--
Paul

Matt Hutchinson
05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
The Vicmarc tommy bar design is the glaring weakness with these chucks. Mine has rounded the bar holes so badly that they are completely useless. In fact, they were completely useless right out of the box. That being said, I have found that simply using the allen wrench used for tightening the jaws works as a great tommy bar. Sure, it's not designed for that use, but the Vicmarcs are plenty hefty, and I doubt you could hurt the jaw tightening screws that the wrench fits into. If in doubt, mar up the threaded insert with a monkey wrench or vise grips, but I don't think it's necessary.

Hutch

Allen Neighbors
05-29-2008, 1:23 PM
I never got a screw chuck to hold in anything. Gave me frustration and ulcers. Gave it away. Happiness is now mine. :D

Frank Drew
05-29-2008, 1:56 PM
Stephen,

I used a small piece of beeswax to lubricate the threads before screwing on the blank, and it seemed to help when it came time to remove it.

Pete Jordan
05-29-2008, 2:06 PM
Stephen,

I just take the blank to the vise and put the screw in the vise,then turn the blank.

Ken George
05-29-2008, 2:59 PM
I use a strap wrench and the hex key for tightening the chuck.

Stephen Henderson
05-29-2008, 3:50 PM
Well thanks everyone. I like the idea of beeswax on the threads, and I suspect i'm using a drill that is too small for the pilot holes.

I think i might just stick with my trusty old face plate if this happens a third time.

By the way, who the heck was the Tommy of Tommy-bar fame??

Thanks again.

Cheers from Idaho.

Stephen

john taliaferro
05-29-2008, 5:34 PM
i have a glasser sharper threads smaller tip . dont try to core big bowls. nice chuck i use it a lot its fast john t