PDA

View Full Version : think this will be stable enough?

Tyler Davis
05-29-2008, 11:04 AM
hey guys

I'm building a prop for church ( the Roman Centurion helmet and sword are "artistic license" ;))
pastor wants to take a white sheet and suspend it for painting/projecting
it roughly 6' x 6'. Of course the top 2/3's will get used the most, as you don't want to bend down to reach the bottom.

So I've sketched up this basic rolling frame. Built of pine 2 x 4's - nothing fancy as it will get painted and does not need to support a lot of weight.
The uprights are attached to the base with a through-tenon
Top brace attached to uprights with mortise/tenon.
The wheels will be double-locking. The bottom braces they are attached to are 15" wide.

two questions:
1. does this seem stable enough, or top-heavy? I can't brace anything in the area of the sheet as light must be projected through
2. I need some way to to tighten the sheet. I put a mockup of a handle on the bottom edge. I'm envisioning some type of ratchet mechanism, but I can't figure out how the dowel rod will be locked after the sheet is tightened. I found Rocker item#90910 but I don't see a way to lock the handle with respect to the wood upright. any ideas?

thanks

Tyler Davis
05-29-2008, 11:07 AM
image below

Steve Flavin001
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
down to 2 x 3 - it is more attractive with less bulk yet still adequate strength. Leave the roller base as is.

As to the sheet needing light projecting through it, why not a sheet of 1/8" acrylic behind it - perhaps pricey but would do the job. and it might eliminate the cost of the Rockler thingee as offsetting savings, although I didn't look to see what it is.

Great illustration and plan that will project lots of divine enlightenment :D :D

Larry Fox
05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Another option is one of those rolling welding screens.

Tyler Davis
05-29-2008, 12:43 PM
thanks Steve - I had intially thought of 2 x3's but went down the "overdesign" route pretty quickly. The lighter uprights will definitely make it more stable.

Interesting idea for the acrylic - McMaster is showing over $100 for a 4'x4' sheet. Anyone know of a cheaper source?

Any ideas on the ratchet handle, or a way to keep the sheet in tension?

Chuck Saunders
05-30-2008, 8:41 AM
Locally will be cheaper