PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on first wine glass please....

Rick Burson
04-10-2004, 9:40 PM
Whaddya think?
Good and/or bad please. I wanted kind of a chalice look. Bowl should be a little bigger but the log limited the size. I think it's black locust. I need lots of work on my finishing techniques. Used french polish with wax over it. Oh-by-the-way, I only used roughing and spindle gouges, a parting tool, and a skew chisel. I REALLY need to buy a bowl gouge and round nose scraper.

John Miliunas
04-10-2004, 10:30 PM
I think it looks just fine! I also think that's Locust and, if so, an even finer job, as that stuff is tough to turn! What do you find wrong with the finish? I think it's OK. As for the additional tools, I can't see the inside of the cavity, but a bowl gouge and scraper would definitely make the operation easier. I have recently taken the advice of those much wiser than me and picked up an Ellsworth bowl gouge. What a choice tool that is! Something you may want to consider, especially if you're going to continue doing Black Locust is the Crown PM version of the Ellsworth. Keeps an edge longer than HSS. :cool:

Rick Burson
04-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks John. Yea - I'm going tomorrow to see about a bg and scraper. The local place has some Crown tools but carries mostly Sorby. Man, turning is addictive. :D

Tyler Howell
04-11-2004, 6:13 AM
A humorous little number with a rich bouquet, Crisp and clean yet unpretentious! It has long legs and is scintillating to the visual senses. Volatize the aromatic esters….. A sniff……. A sip……Ahhhhh! ....... A Grand finish! ;)

Glenn Clabo
04-11-2004, 6:27 AM
Tyler...They're coming to take you away. A nice white submarine dinner jacket awaits you.

Rick...I think the chalice looks great.

Chris Padilla
04-12-2004, 11:33 AM
I like the proportions...very nice. Not quite slender for a wine glass in the traditional sense but it suits me fine...a non wine drinker. :)

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 11:51 AM
This is a very nice goblet turning, Rick. I like the design in general.

Something that Chris mentions also crossed my mind...the stem is not "delicate" enough for the size of the business end of the goblet. Sliming it down (or increasing the size of the goblet) will give you better proportions. The stem doesn't need to be needle-thin, but about half it's current thickness may be more pleasing. Chuck up some scrap and turn a few examples to find what proportions look best to you before you finalize your design. This serves both to get the shape down and to give even more practice. Some folks will actually paint these samples flat black and set them on a shelf so they are only looking at the contour, rather than the wood grain. You don't even need to hollow them out unless you want to for practice purposes.

Christopher Stahl
04-12-2004, 9:39 PM
Wait, what's going on here with all these new photos?????? Don't recognise you guys anymore.

Rick, reminds me of the Holy Grail. I think it is cool!

chris