PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Hollow Forms

Jeff Paxton
05-28-2008, 9:50 PM
Here are a couple of cherry burl hollow forms. Sorry the pictures are not any better, but I welcome your comments and suggestions. Thanks!

Jeff

Scott Hubl
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Very Nice Jeff,

Gotta love knarly looking woods .

Keith Burns
05-29-2008, 8:43 AM
The forms, wood and finish all look good. Great work !

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2008, 9:27 AM
Those are some very nice HF's. Wood, form and finish are great. Well done.

Bruce Pennell
05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Very nice Jeff, I like both of them.

Mark Cothren
05-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Those look great, Jeff. Plenty of character in that wood. You didn't mention the size - so what are the dimensions on these? Did you use an oil finish?

Bob Hallowell
05-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Jeff,
these are both very nice.

Bob

Claude Arragon
05-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Nicely turned and finished.
I love it when you have the "windows" in the wood. Turning is much faster as you can constantly watch the thickness of the walls.
Was it your experience?

Bill Bolen
05-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Very pretty, both of them! Must have been fun keeping it all in one piece...Bill...

Don Robert
05-29-2008, 1:09 PM
Excellent. You did an outstanding job. How about a note on the size?

Jeff Paxton
05-29-2008, 5:34 PM
The taller one is 7 inches tall by 4 inches wide, and the smaller one is 6 inches tall and about 5 inches wide. I used 3 coats of a lacquer sanding sealer, and a 3 coats of a semi-gloss lacquer spray finish.

I have another one roughed out very similiar to the taller one only it is twice the size. The colors were beautiful, white, red, blacks and browns. I am a little worried in that it really contorted after the DNA bath and drying process. I don't know how well I am going to be able to true it up, and I hope the color combinations will hold.

Thanks for all the comments. I have learned so much on this site. Everyone is so helpful, especially to us "Green" turners. Also, he probably won't claim me, but I have attended the "Mark Cothren School of Turning." I have a long way to go before graduation. Seriously, thanks Mark for all your help.

Jeff

Mark Hix
05-29-2008, 7:08 PM
I really like them alot. The first one just says "pick me up and hold me". If you get tired of it, just send it to me.:D I will keep it company.

Richard Madison
05-29-2008, 8:54 PM
Jeff,
Definitely agree with all those positive comments, and have one suggestion. A little more negative curvature from the rim down to the transition to positive curvature might give the taller piece a slightly more elegant look. Those transitions can be challenging, and you have done a good job of keeping it smooth.

Barry Stratton
05-29-2008, 9:19 PM
Really nice pieces Jeff! I like the different forms.

snip............ Also, he probably won't claim me, but I have attended the "Mark Cothren School of Turning." I have a long way to go before graduation. Seriously, thanks Mark for all your help.

I been to that school too! Turning instruction ain't bad, but the cook is WORLD CLASS!

Clara Koss
05-30-2008, 3:51 PM
i bet they would look great at nite with votives in there... that is if the top opening is large enough to acomodate them...very nice work....

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2008, 4:42 PM
Beautiful work Jeff! Each piece is amazing! Love the colors, the bark and the inclusions - lots of charactor!

Congrats on finding such an outstanding teacher! Make the most of it!

Glenn Hodges
05-31-2008, 8:38 AM
I think you did a jam up job on these. I can offer nothing for improvement on these fine pieces.