PDA

View Full Version : Quick base molding question

jason lambert
05-28-2008, 9:48 PM
I have done many base moldings in rooms and alwas just made the molding fit snugly. My fathor on the other hand cuts the molding so it has to be sprung into place a little. I am thinking wood movment here wouldn't that be bad, but he insists I am doing it wrong. How tight do you make your base moldings?

Frank Drew
05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Jason

Back when I worked as a carpenter I was in your father's camp; certainly with longish runs, springing the molding into place was the rule.

Six months into the occupancy of a house, with the heat and/or AC on, molding joints often open up, so anything to lessen that tendency is to the good.

John Keeton
05-29-2008, 5:44 AM
Never done it for a living, but I have run a bunch of base trim over the years in rental units, home builds, etc., and I agree with Dad. If you have the length to get some "spring" in the board, then I would use that to my advantage. We aren't talking about a lot of extra length here - a little goes a long way. From my experience, the shrinkage that usually causes the problem isn't in the trim, but is in the framing lumber which is usually fairly wet when installed. When the 2x4 or 2x6 shrinks slightly, on both ends of a run, your inside corner cuts (miters or copes) may open up. The spring helps accomodate that. On outside corners, shrinkage may even leave your corner very slightly proud, but that doesn't show as much as an open cope or miter.

Matt Ocel
05-29-2008, 7:15 AM
Springing is acceptable, "BUT" if you put to much spring into it, it may cause your drywall corner to crack.
Everything in moderation!

Lee Schierer
05-29-2008, 10:28 AM
I would tend to agree with Dad for the installations in new construction, but there would be no need for springing the piece into place on older construction. Lumber doesn't change much at all in length as it dries. Kiln dried trim shold be about as dry as it will ever get unless you move the house to Arizona or New Mexico.

Von Bickley
05-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Here's another vote for Dad's way.....

Jim Becker
05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Yup....the most excellent finish carpenter who did the trim work in our addition sprung the base, too. When I started on the great room trim, I did the same thing.

Steve Clardy
05-29-2008, 2:33 PM
Yep. I spring it.

Yep. I've cracked the drywall joints. :rolleyes:

Greg Cole
05-29-2008, 2:43 PM
One more springer. Kinda learned that trick from getting sick of trying to get it JUST RIGHT. Drove me nuts sneaking up on that little line, ok a little bit more and a little more. Bah... a little long is close enough.
And those drywall joints are bound to crack anyway, or they are bound to with me and the little boy banging around the house all the time.:D

Greg

Peter Quinn
05-29-2008, 5:50 PM
Another springer here. In fact I like to spring lots of trim just a little.