PDA

View Full Version : Any Bird carvers out there????

John Novak
05-28-2008, 7:51 PM
I am rather new to Sawmill Creek, But I have not seen any thing about bird carving. Are thee any bird carvers out there???

Dave Novak
05-29-2008, 2:22 PM
You should post some of your pictures, Dad.

Jamie Cowan
05-29-2008, 5:37 PM
I haven't tried birds yet, I'm rather new to carving. However, I'd love to see some of your work, if you don't mind sharing. I've seen some really impressive bird carvings, and they are way out of my league. Sort of interested, though--Baltimore Orioles have started showing up here in NH, last summer I guess. Prior to that, had never seen one. Ever since they showed up, I've been looking a lot more, and I've noticed a lot more other species than I was aware of around here. I guess that got me looking at bird carvings, too.

Aaron Koehl
05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
I've heard of people carving wood, but BIRDS?! :D

randall rosenthal
05-31-2008, 2:40 PM
turkey?..........we get back to the dock with 200 lbs of tuna and the mate says to me..."you're supposed to be so good at carving....lets see".

in all seriousness i like bird carvings and my wife is a bird brain (20 feeders)....would love to see some

Clara Koss
05-31-2008, 3:23 PM
i had suggested to a gentleman who makes coffee scoops to make the handles in shapes of animals, or gothic, or anything but the regular straight handles... i hope you find a way to carve birds and take pics and show us!!!! they could add beauty to other things such as bowls and tops of armoars (spelled right?) wooden fence posts...good luck...:o

Dave Novak
06-03-2008, 2:06 PM
My Dad must be taking one of his three day naps. Here's a link to some pics of various things he's carved. The pictures really don't do them justice, you have to really get close to appreciate the detail.

www.fandfwoodcarving.com/carvings.htm (http://www.fandfwoodcarving.com/carvings.htm)

Jamie Cowan
06-03-2008, 6:56 PM
That's some stunning work. I'm years away from anything like that, I'm afraid. I'll tell you this, though--had a lousy day that never seemed to end, thought I'd check out the boards before I got some carving in, and saw those pictures. Turned my day right around. It's amazing what is possible with some wood, sharp tools, and imagination. Not for me, of course, but I love seeing other people's work. The cardinal is fantastic.

Daniel Savard
06-04-2008, 5:26 PM
I hope John will wake-up and comment his carving. My favorite one is the old mountain man. I like the expression and the choice of woods which contribute to the expression.