PDA

View Full Version : Freud router question FT3000vce

Fred Miller
05-28-2008, 6:55 PM
Hello all!

I'm thinking of buying the big Freud 3 1/4hp Freud model FT3000VCE router for my table. Playing the idea out in my head, I'm wondering what kind of table insert I need to use with it. I currently have a Jessum universal fit insert in my table with an older Freud router, but I think I'd have to drill holes in it to accommodate the above-the-table holes for bit changing and height adjustment with the new Freud. I've checked websites and can't see where Freud reccommends a specific insert, so I'm coming up empty.

Also, this router has a small knob on the wrench that adjusts the bit height, and that little knob seems too small. Has anyone out there fabricated a crank-type wrench?

Stephen Ash
05-28-2008, 7:32 PM
Hi Fred,

I have that router mounted in my table. I used the large aluminum plate from Rockler, pre-drilled for the Freud FT2000, and drilled out the holes for the above-table controls. The included height-adjust wrench is indeed laborious to use, so I bought a dedicated speed-wrench and hex drive from Sears, and it's a cinch to raise and lower now.

It's been a great router so far - very strong, and a nice overall feel to it. Freud's customer service has been top-notch as well on the few occasions I contacted them with questions.

Best regards,
Steve

Russell Tribby
05-28-2008, 8:26 PM
Hi Fred,

I have that router mounted in my table. I used the large aluminum plate from Rockler, pre-drilled for the Freud FT2000, and drilled out the holes for the above-table controls. The included height-adjust wrench is indeed laborious to use, so I bought a dedicated speed-wrench and hex drive from Sears, and it's a cinch to raise and lower now.

It's been a great router so far - very strong, and a nice overall feel to it. Freud's customer service has been top-notch as well on the few occasions I contacted them with questions.

Best regards,
Steve

Steve, would you mind showing some pics of the wrench set up that you're using? I've got the same router and my wrist is about worn out from raising and lowering with that little knob.

Fred Miller
05-28-2008, 9:07 PM
Steve & Russell,

Thanks guys! I'd like to see that wrench setup also--or at least a detailed description of it. Hopefully I can find the components--I couldn't tell you where a Sears store is located here in Charlotte NC...not since I gave up on Craftsman stuff years ago.

I can get the router for cost + 5%, and probably the insert for the same price, especially since the store I haunt just installed 900 sq feet of Rockler merchandise.

Steve Leverich
05-28-2008, 9:58 PM
I have that router but have yet to drill the holes for above table adjust (cast iron) -

but I also have two Jessem tables with DW618's and Jessem Rout-r-Lift FX lifts, and for those (1/4" hex crank) I took out the set screw from one of the cranks and I just chuck the remaining hex rod in a cordless drill (set to low speed with a light/medium clutch action) - now I can raise/lower the routers in about 10 seconds from top to bottom, or slow down the drill and "sneak up" on a setting.

Planning on doing the same for the 3000 VCE, I'll use a 10mm hex driver with 3/8" square drive, then chuck a 3/8 drive male adapter in the drill.

Try it, you'll like it... Steve

http://indoors.pricegrabber.com/mechanics-tools-tool-sets/m/22600417/skd=1/search=10mm%20socket%20hex/st=product/sv=title/

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ver15475.html

Charles McCracken
05-29-2008, 7:14 AM
Hello all!

I'm thinking of buying the big Freud 3 1/4hp Freud model FT3000VCE router for my table. Playing the idea out in my head, I'm wondering what kind of table insert I need to use with it. I currently have a Jessum universal fit insert in my table with an older Freud router, but I think I'd have to drill holes in it to accommodate the above-the-table holes for bit changing and height adjustment with the new Freud. I've checked websites and can't see where Freud reccommends a specific insert, so I'm coming up empty.

Also, this router has a small knob on the wrench that adjusts the bit height, and that little knob seems too small. Has anyone out there fabricated a crank-type wrench?

Fred,

We offer a 9X12 aluminum insert in our RTS5300 Router Table System that is pre-drilled for the FT3000VCE. You can call our parts department at (800) 334-4107 and see if they have one available as spare part# 35000.0110.

Stephen Ash
05-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Steve, would you mind showing some pics of the wrench set up that you're using? I've got the same router and my wrist is about worn out from raising and lowering with that little knob.

Hi Russell,

There's really nothing special about my wrench setup. I just bought one of these along with a hex driver socket of the appropriate size (I think someone mentioned 10mm) and that was it. The original wrench is definitely a good wrist and forearm workout - until you get something else, make sure you alternate sides so your arms bulk up evenly!

Regards,
Steve