PDA

View Full Version : Smallish hope chest (pics)

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-10-2004, 9:04 PM
This is a smallish mesquite hope chest I finished this afternoon. I decided to do this last Saturday afternoon, and made the drawing Sunday morning...so from drawing to pictures was a week. Dimensions of the lid are 16-1/4 x 30-1/2, height is just shy of 19". Panels are 1/4 resawn. As with the desk I recently posted, the rails and stiles are 'stepped'...stiles just proud of the panels, rails just proud of the stiles and also inset from the corner of the legs. I've decided I like this little detail. :)

You can't see it in the picture, but the lid is a panel with a 3 piece mitered frame around it (front/sides). I cut a matching chamfer on the panel and the inside edges of the frame to get a 'vee' at the joint. This looks cool if executed perfectly, but it's awfully hard to hide any boo-boos if you tank it. I don't suspect I need to go into any more detail about that. :(

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/chest1.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/chest2.jpg

Inside floor is western red cedar, sides are 1/4" or so aromatic cedar (closet lining) with 7/16" western red behind. I put the western in because I didn't trust the 1/4" stuff to hold the screws for the lid supports (Woodcraft).

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/chest3.jpg

I used WATCO natural on the outside of the box and the lid, and left the inside mesquite parts naked. Then I sparyed a 'spit coat' of lacquer (Sherwin Williams dull rubbed effect pre-cat) on the inside and finished the outside normally. The cedar was applied afterward and is all unfinished.

This was my first chest of this type in many years, my first experience with knife (piano) hinges, and my first use of lid supports. Obviously, I got the size wrong, but I think the proportions are about right. This box is too small to be a 'blanket' chest, tho it would work nicely for sheets and such. Doing it again, I'd go with three panels in front instead of four. Also, the thickness of the cedar(s) lining affects the operation of the lid supports...so the opening in the picture is all I can get. I might could look into different support thingies, but I'll probably just leave it alone on this. The skinny width of the top rail also precludes use of a lock for the lid...I'm still not sure what to do to keep the lid closed...maybe a hasp of some sort. Anyway, thanks for browsing...and as usual, all commentary welcome. :)

KC

Dick Parr
04-10-2004, 9:23 PM
Outstanding KC!!!!!

Bob Marino
04-10-2004, 9:50 PM
Kirk,

You know how to work with that mesquite! Beautiful in design and finish.

Bob

Dean Baumgartner
04-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Very nice Kirk. The figure on that wood is outstanding.

Dean

John Miliunas
04-10-2004, 10:24 PM
"Dr. Mesquite" strikes again! Very nice work and in short order, to boot! If there are these supposed "boo-boo's", you can't prove it by me! Great job. :cool:

Jim Becker
04-11-2004, 12:05 AM
"Dr. Mesquite" strikes again!

Indeed. This is an awesome and inspiring piece, KC. You really know how to make that mesquite come alive!

David Rose
04-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Kirk, is the cedar glued to the lacquered wood or trapped by the floor and upper band?

David

""Then I sparyed a 'spit coat' of lacquer (Sherwin Williams dull rubbed effect pre-cat) on the inside and finished the outside normally. The cedar was applied afterward and is all unfinished.""

Christian Aufreiter
04-11-2004, 3:27 AM
Wow, really beautiful job, KC!

Glenn Clabo
04-11-2004, 6:30 AM
Simply superb...Your workmanship and mesquite just seem made for each other.

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-11-2004, 8:29 AM
Kirk, is the cedar glued to the lacquered wood or trapped by the floor and upper band?

Thanks for the comments, folks.

David, the floor has a rabbet all around that the sides fit into, trapping them. I shot some brads at the top...no glue.

KC

Todd Burch
04-11-2004, 8:35 AM
Looks nice KC! How about a close up shot of your rail/stile stepping? What would you do different as far as size next time?

Thanks for posting!

Terry Hatfield
04-11-2004, 8:41 AM
KC,

Outstanding!!! Love the mesquite.

t

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Looks nice KC! How about a close up shot of your rail/stile stepping? What would you do different as far as size next time?

Thanks for posting!

Here is a closer look at the 'step' on the box, and another of the door on the desk. On the box, the chamfer cuts are the same on rails and stiles...the stiles are simply 3/16" or so thinner than the rails. The door is backward...stiles proud of the rails. I cut the mortise and tenons first so the back side of the framework is flush, then cut the groove for the panel using the back sides as reference so they match up. Tricky part is cutting the groove in the legs.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/stepdetail.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/doordetail.jpg

Chris Padilla
04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Nice work as always, Kirk. It is nice we have a mesquite guy on here. I think I will be shocked when you try some other wood someday! :)