PDA

View Full Version : Re. Allen's Coffee Scoop Post

Richard Madison
05-28-2008, 6:15 PM
OK, who else made their very first coffee scoop today? Anyone? If not, then mine definitely takes the "Crude Scoop of the Month" award. Only first timers are eligible.

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2008, 6:30 PM
Richard I must say that is a very nice scoop. Well done.

Paul Douglass
05-28-2008, 6:33 PM
I don't know when I'll get to try one but if it turns out that good I'll be more than happy. I see nothing wrong with yours.

curtis rosche
05-28-2008, 6:35 PM
i dont think i could do that, i would end up trying to touch the handle while turning the scoop part, just because

Stephen Johnson
05-28-2008, 7:01 PM
I think I like my knuckles too much to even try one :)

curtis rosche
05-28-2008, 7:12 PM
i could do it with out toughing it but that wouldbe like a button that says dont touch,

Allen Neighbors
05-28-2008, 7:45 PM
Way to go, Richard!! Ya done good, and it looks like you have a good design for the handle, too. When I have several of them, if I get questioned, I tell them the short handled ones are to just toss back into the can til you need it for the next pot.
Good job!.

Gary Herrmann
05-28-2008, 8:49 PM
Its on the list. 'Course, this being Spring, coaching my son's baseball team, work etc...

Everything just goes on the list... :rolleyes:

Nice job on the scoop, Richard.

Richard Madison
05-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Gosh, thanks guys! It's mesquite with sanding sealer, and buffed a bit on the outside. Was expecting to see a couple dozen scoops tonight after Allen's post. Maybe more and better ones to come later.

Thanks Allen! Definitely a tad short on handle. It was fun, and thanks for the inspiration to try something new. The jam chuck needs more work, and I really need a new tool, and - - -

Russ Peters
05-29-2008, 7:20 AM
Doesn't every new project deserve a new tool?

Chris Barnett
05-29-2008, 8:21 AM
The handle on my metal store bought is too long to leave in the coffee decanter....your turning is perfect.

curtis rosche
05-29-2008, 9:29 AM
how do you turn these? turn the scoop, then turn the handle and turn off the mount from the scoop?

Jon McCoy
05-29-2008, 10:14 AM
how do you turn these? turn the scoop, then turn the handle and turn off the mount from the scoop?
Your search must not have shown the recent discussion about making a scoop, hinted at by the topic of this post.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84986

Nor did your looking around find a how-to article.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/assets/turning_articles/coffee_scoop/scoop.html

This article shows the scoop end first shaped into a sphere, the handle end is shaped, then the sphere is mounted in a jam chuck for hollowing. The handle will be whizzing around in a nice orbit -- I guarantee touching it will generate a life lesson.

-jon-

Claude Arragon
05-29-2008, 10:51 AM
very nice scoop indeed.
Funny, every time I turn one I make holes in it as , down here in Itally we use it to fetch olives from the jar :)

Ron McKinley
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Nothing wrong with that one! I like it.......Ron

Mike SoRelle
05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm afraid to even try that due to the risk of grievous bodily harm that would result from getting too close to the handle as it whirls around, I can think of much easier ways to injure myself in the shop :)

Beautiful scoop though, one of these days I might try it right after I read the fine print in my accidental death and dismemberment policy

kevin loftus
05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
"Scooper" looking spoon Richard.:D

Allen Neighbors
05-29-2008, 1:15 PM
Hey, Richard... I wasn't suggesting that the handle was too short... I think it's just right. I always just keep my scoops in the cans with the grounds (one in the travel trailer/one in the house). Short handle is perfect for that. :D

Charlie Schultz
05-29-2008, 4:15 PM
Any idea how thick the wall of the scoop is?

Mark Hix
05-29-2008, 7:30 PM
OK, I confess, I did one too. I could not resist. Some of you would laugh so no photo (but then again, I did turn one!). Your's looks sooo much better than mine. I was off a little on the sphere and the sides are thicker than the end. It was a BLAST to make. No band aids, just a small bruise on my bicep. I will do more, lots more.
It is also a great skill builder: you get practice at spindles, spheres, multi axis turning, jam chucks and proportions. I highly reccommend it.

curtis rosche
05-29-2008, 7:55 PM
maybe if i make one of these at school the idiot will learn not to just come over and touch evry single spining thing on the lathe, i hate that they always come touch what i am turning while i am turning it, i always pull the tool out just incase, but i think a spinning handle might teach them.

Clara Koss
05-29-2008, 8:01 PM
i like the color , length of the handle and the design... i still think the handles are the place to get creative though and should be more ornate... but this was a great first try!!!!!

Richard Madison
05-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks again for the nice comments! I freehanded the sphere by holding a plastic bottle cap in front of it and noting where it was not as “round” as the bottle cap.

Jon, Thanks for your response and appreciate your help.

Claude, Am not familiar with olive jars, but think an “olive dipper” would need a long handle.

Mike, As shown in the tutorial that Jon repeated for us, when hollowing out the scoop, the tool rest blocks the volume in which the handle is spinning. But you gotta hope that the jam chuck has a good grip on the piece. I started with support from the tailstock point, then removed, added double-stick tape to the jam chuck and used tailstock to center and compress the piece into the tape. Removed the tailstock and got lucky, as the tape held. Very light cuts. Recall comment that my jam chuck needs more work to function really well.

Allen, Yep, it’s a “back in the can” size. Actually we use a plastic spoon. Need to check with my friend Colin Spencer in Spain and see if they use long handled olive dippers.

Charlie, It is thin but not zero at the lip, maybe 1/32”, up to 1/8” thick down the sides, and the bottom is about 1/4” thick where it should be 3/16, or even 1/8. I failed to measure before putting it in the jam chuck.

Mark, Make some more and show us pictures.

Clara, Agree that the handle shape could have been more artistic. But it was my first time. Thanks for your comment. Will do better next time.

Allen Neighbors
05-30-2008, 6:29 PM
Great idea... Olive dipper! Longer, thinner handle, and some holes could be drilled to allow the liquid to drain. Think I'll give it a try.