PDA

View Full Version : Mantel Clock

Keith Starosta
05-28-2008, 4:40 PM
This is the fourth mantel clock of this design I've made. This one is for the LOML. She was starting to get a bit cranky, seeing these leave the shop, without having one on her own mantel. :o

This one is a mix of QSWO and figured crotch walnut. I was hoping for a stronger contrast between the white oak and walnut, but it turned out ok. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't have used a walnut gel stain. My wife was thrilled with it, and it now resides right in the center of the mantel! :D ;)

Thanks for looking!

- Keith

Glenn Clabo
05-28-2008, 5:04 PM
Nice Keith...real nice.

Pools open,eh?

Nancy Laird
05-28-2008, 5:14 PM
Keith, I don't blame her for getting cranky...I would too if my hubby made those for others but not for me. It's beautiful. Several years ago he built a jewelry box for me, and ended up building two more for others. They saw mine and wanted their own!!

Keith Starosta
05-28-2008, 5:50 PM
Nice Keith...real nice.

Pools open,eh?

Thanks, Glenn!

Yeah, the kids hit the water for the first time last weekend, 70 degree water be damned!! :rolleyes: :D

Keith, I don't blame her for getting cranky...I would too if my hubby made those for others but not for me. It's beautiful. Several years ago he built a jewelry box for me, and ended up building two more for others. They saw mine and wanted their own!!

That seems to be happening quite a bit for me lately! I'd like to move into some larger pieces, but my Mom/MIL/Wife/Aunts keep seeing the smaller items I'm making, and saying, "...oooohh, it's beautiful! I'd LOVE one!"

How can I turn them down? ;)

- Keith;)

gary Zimmel
05-28-2008, 6:27 PM
Keith

Nice job on the mantel clock. I like the suttle contrast between the QSWO and walnut.

You are a wise man to give this one to your wife....

John Michaels
05-28-2008, 7:04 PM
Very Nice! I almost thought the oak was zebrawood at first.

Jim Becker
05-28-2008, 7:15 PM
ALWAYS take care of the primary customer, Kieth!! Always. (Nice work, by the way... :) )

Keith Starosta
05-28-2008, 7:22 PM
ALWAYS take care of the primary customer, Kieth!! Always. (Nice work, by the way... :) )

Thanks, Jim. I'm learning that the hard way!! :o :eek:

- Keith

J. Z. Guest
05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Very nice work Keith. Did you have templates or anything to help this one go more quickly than the last one?

Keith Starosta
05-29-2008, 6:26 AM
Very nice work Keith. Did you have templates or anything to help this one go more quickly than the last one?

Thanks, Jeremy. I was just telling my wife that I need to really develop a quicker way to do these, since there are about four more on this years Christmas list! They go pretty quickly as it is, but I can still streamline the process even more. These are all straight cuts, with a bit of milling after the fact. I'm not too sure how many jigs I would be able to incorporate...

- Keith

Matt Meiser
05-29-2008, 6:54 AM
Looks great Keith. You've really been cranking out the projects.

I'd like to move into some larger pieces, but my Mom/MIL/Wife/Aunts keep seeing the smaller items I'm making, and saying, "...oooohh, it's beautiful! I'd LOVE one!"

It might just mean you have to make multiple bigger projects. I remodeled our bathroom--mom and dad wanted theirs done. I built my daughter a bookshelf--mom wanted one. :rolleyes::D

Greg Cole
05-29-2008, 7:45 AM
Nice job Keith. I've been saying for a couple years I am going to pick one thing and make a batch of them for gifts... still saying that too.
Interesting piecework railing on the deck there...;)

Greg