PDA

View Full Version : Keep my Union 8 or Stanley 7 ?

James K Peterson
05-28-2008, 1:05 PM
I'm really new to hand tool use, and I haven't even gotten to the point where I really use the jointers yet... But, since I jumped down the slope and ended up with *many* planes (which I'm now trying to cull down) and I'm not sure which plane I should keep for use :confused:

Do they have significant differences in use? I'm kind of leaning toward keeping the no7 just because it's already sharp (thanks to a fellow Creeker). I'm doing mostly smaller works right now (boxes) but I plan on doing some tables, chairs, benches and beds. I'm more of a hybrid than a true Neander (size on corded, finish with smoothers/scrapers/sanding).

Thanks for any advice/preference :D

James

Terry Bigelow
05-28-2008, 3:58 PM
I'm not sure which plane I should keep for use :confused:

Easy one, right boys? Let's all say it together...B-O-T-H!!:cool:

Seriously though, not much difference at all. The 8's got more mass which helps it do it's own thing but the difference is not worth arguing(some may disagree;)). Some I'm sure will say it's a bit too heavy as well. If the blade has been taken care of on the 7 and the 8 is in bad shape(i.e. needs new bevel established, back flattened, etc.) I guess you should keep the 7 if you REALLY have to keep one. But, you'll have to get the sharpening down sometime right? I still say keep 'em both but what do I know? I've fallen so far down the slope I can't see the top!

Mark Stutz
05-28-2008, 9:49 PM
Unless you need to sell one to free up funds, keep both for now. For some things I really like the mass of the #8 but it does get heavy after a while. I find myself reaching for the #7 at times rather than rehone the #8 in the middle of a project when I'm on a roll. After you have used them both for a while you will have a better feel if you like the #8 or whether you exclusively use the #7, in which case the #8 can go to the Classifieds!

Mark

Jim Koepke
05-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Sometimes it is desirable to have two planes that are similar.
This lets you use one for thin shavings and one for heavier work.

One can be used until it needs honing then use the other until they both need blade work.

Being happy with my No. 7, it is unlikely that a No. 8 will come into my shop until there is more space in the shop to keep it.

jim

Martin Cash
05-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi James,
I agree with the others on this. If you don't need to sell the Union number 8 then keep it.
I have one and the whole package seems better than an equivalent Stanley 8.
For a start the blade is significantly thicker and the front low knob is decidedly bigger than the Stanley. For my big hands this is just sooo comfortable in use. I wouldn't swear to it but it appears to be a little wider across the base of the plane as well. All this makes it feel good in my paws.
So.... keep it if you can, you may not find another.
MC

Martin Cash
05-31-2008, 5:49 PM
Here is a picture to explain my previous post.
Might help for those who haven't seen a Union 8.
regards
MC

Greg Muller
06-01-2008, 9:11 PM
Keep the Union...

Sell the #7... TO ME!!!!!:D

Greg