PDA

View Full Version : Consoling a NYW Freak

Carl Eyman
04-10-2004, 6:16 PM
I have been waiting all season to see Norm do his Queen Anne Dining table. I made a similiar table two years ago (only Chippendale). I was anxious to see how he dealt with problems like keeping the surface flat, making sure the leaves maintained a straight line with the main part of table, how he attached the table top to pedestals, etc., etc.

Well I had an early golf date this am, but no problem. Record it, Right? The vcr is set up to record Norm every Sat. at 7:30. Oh, woe is me, I didn't set the VCR for daylight savings time. Norm's secrets are forever lost. Well, not forever, I can wait five years and see it on Home & Garden, I guess. But, what if I don't live five years.

I guess I'll have to break down and buy his video.

Will some Creeker tell me if Norm got through the project OK? No wobbly tripod legs, or zig-zag edges when He inserted the leaves?

Jim Becker
04-10-2004, 6:55 PM
Today's episode on my local PBS station was the Low-boy Dressing Table, not a Queen Anne dining table...nice project. But I can appreciate your unhappiness as I all-too-often forget what time it is and miss both the Saturday morning and Saturday evening show. Miss the morning episode and you are stuck until the next showing of that season. Miss the Saturday evening show and at least you can catch it the following week on the Saturday morning show! (At least with WHYY out of Philadelphia)

Carl Eyman
04-10-2004, 8:05 PM
Jim: Yes it was last week we had the low-boy. I was looking forward to that show so I could see how Norm carved a Ball & Claw. Well, I don't have to tell you the outcome. He didn't. If I can learn to carve a ball & claw (however inexpertly), why can't he? Idols crumble. Woe is me!

Tyler Howell
04-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Silly Question Carl. Norm always gets through with out a hitch.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.
I would really like to see NYW out takes. That would be a million seller and do a lot for WW self esteam around the world.:p:p
He was off to a good start on the table as I dosed off. It wasn't my Sen Sa that did it! Up all night getting ready for the outlaws tomorrow. I'll finish the tape and get back to you. I think it is a two parter?

Dennis Peacock
04-11-2004, 12:24 AM
OK Mr. Becker...!!!!!!!

There ya go changing your avatar.!!! I almost didn't recognize you!!! :D

Jim Becker
04-11-2004, 12:26 AM
There ya go changing your avatar.!!! I almost didn't recognize you!!!
Who?

Oh, yea...I haven't played for awhile and the pics from the picnic with Dr. SWMBO's online friends offered up some fodder for Photoshop Elements. I don't know if I like the white or black background on this one...:rolleyes: But there have been a bunch of sunglasses poses lately, so I thought, "why not?"

Tyler Howell
04-11-2004, 5:58 AM
Who?

Oh, yea...I haven't played for awhile and the pics from the picnic with Dr. SWMBO's online friends offered up some fodder for Photoshop Elements. I don't know if I like the white or black background on this one...:rolleyes: But there have been a bunch of sunglasses poses lately, so I thought, "why not?"

Jim You Hot Dog! You gotta have a Harley or a Big sailboat to go with that profile

Jim Becker
04-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Jim You Hot Dog! You gotta have a Harley or a Big sailboat to go with that profile

'Not a sailor, nor am I anywhere remotely comfortable on a motorcycle...besides, here in my area, there are enough folks driving them already! I think I'll stick to the Kubota and my truck...

Tyler Howell
04-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Silly Question Carl. Norm always gets through with out a hitch.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.
I would really like to see NYW out takes. That would be a million seller and do a lot for WW self esteam around the world.:p:p
He was off to a good start on the table as I dosed off. It wasn't my Sen Sa that did it! Up all night getting ready for the outlaws tomorrow. I'll finish the tape and get back to you. I think it is a two parter?Carl, Latest update! Finished the video, he finished the table, Norms got a new toyl.

Oscillating edge sander. Couldn't see a manufacturer name. We’ll get all the details from John , Mike, Terry and Bill when they get theirs next week. Gave some good insights into working with Mahogany and finishing coarse grained woods. No claw and ball carving. Our guru, Sen Sa, and spiritual guide used castors with a pretty complicated M&T arrangement. I found the "pre-shop" tour most interesting at the suppliers shop /show room.

Now Carl! You know the rules, Let’s see some pix.

John Miliunas
04-12-2004, 1:37 PM

Not quite sure about either, the Hog or sailboat, Tyler. Looks to me like, if there was more to that picture, it would be him hanging on to a saxaphone or similar. :D I think Dale has the market cornered on the sunglass thing. Stick a cigar in his mouth and he'll look like he's one of "Vito's" guys! :D And, as long as we're profiling, you and your cap with the earflaps belong on the Hog! :rolleyes: :cool:

Tyler Howell
04-12-2004, 1:47 PM
[QUOTE=John Miliunas]Not quite sure about either, the Hog or sailboat, Tyler. Looks to me like, if there was more to that picture, it would be him hanging on to a saxaphone or similar. :D I think Dale has the market cornered on the sunglass thing. Stick a cigar in his mouth and he'll look like he's one of "Vito's" guys! :D And, as long as we're profiling, you and your cap with the earflaps belong on the Hog! :rolleyes: :cool:

Sax man? Never thought of that one, alright! Now hog guys with ear flaps, You definitely DNFWT.;)

John Miliunas
04-12-2004, 1:59 PM
[/i][/color]

Ok, I'll bite: What's with the "DNFWT"? :confused: :cool:

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 2:45 PM
Not quite sure about either, the Hog or sailboat, Tyler. Looks to me like, if there was more to that picture, it would be him hanging on to a saxaphone or similar. Not a sax man, myself, but my band back in the late 1970s had sax as the "main solo instument". I would have been seen with either a bass guitar or my keyboards...and yes, I had a KX-5 strap-on (keyboard!) for the latter in the 1980s. I can do a pretty mean sax on my Kurzweil, however...:p (Along with just about anything else in a band or orchestra...) This is assuming, of course, that I give up woodworking time to get my chops back. :eek: Not likely, although I sometimes think that I need to get the gear out, dust it off, and get back to playing. No room to do that right now.

Chris Padilla
04-12-2004, 3:14 PM
Ooooh, Boy!! I'm thinking 60s, tie-dye, Berkeley, experimentation, and sax all over the place! :D :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 3:29 PM
Ooooh, Boy!! I'm thinking 60s, tie-dye, Berkeley, experimentation, and sax all over the place!
'Can't speak for others, but in the 1960s, I wasn't yet in high school...so Berkeley, experimentation and sax all over the place were not yet possible/plausable, especially since I lived WAY out in the country and never even heard of Berkeley at that point!

Chris Padilla
04-12-2004, 4:05 PM
How about Easy Rider? :D

Robert Goodwin
04-12-2004, 4:49 PM
Since I got my tivo, I haven't missed an eposide yet. Granted it has its problems, but even my wife now hates watching tv without it. We have one show that we like to watch that conflicts with another show we watch. So I set the VCR for that one. Well, the power either goes out for a storm, or some electrical work I'm doing on the house. Seems like we never get the VCR right.