PDA

View Full Version : Crown Molding Help

Bob Moyer
05-28-2008, 1:04 PM
My nephew and his wife want to put crown molding in their kitchen; after seeing an episode on Ask this Old House and doing other corners with baseboard, I normally get the corner joints to look very good.

My problem is the outside corner on the soffit, the soffit was built with a wider dimension at the top - than at the bottom, it tapers inward. How does one get this angle correct?

Thanks

Chris Padilla
05-28-2008, 2:30 PM
Any pics, Bob?

Richard Wolf
05-28-2008, 2:54 PM
If you are using a sprung crown, only the very bottom edge of the crown is touching the wall of the soffit. Why would it matter if the wall tapers?
If you are not using sprung crown, maybe you should.

Richard

Ben Grunow
05-28-2008, 6:28 PM
I cut my crowns upside down (miter box style instead of compound angles) and I find the best way to do somethingis to try. Just cut a couple shorts and test them adjusting the cut the same way on both.

Seems like if the soffit is out of plumb then the back of the crown will need to be planed slightly to get it to sit tight on the bottom of the crown (no large gap along the bottom of the crown). I would think the angles should be the same as if the crown were along the wall (plumb).

Richard means that you are using a crown with a triangular open space behind it (not a solid crown).