PDA

View Full Version : does the creek have license plates?

curtis rosche
05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
does the creek have license plates?

Keith Outten
05-28-2008, 9:21 PM
Curtis,

Do you mean automobile license plates? If so I haven't made any yet but it is certainly possible.

Rob Russell
05-29-2008, 8:26 PM
Keith,

That would likely depend on the state. I doubt, for example, that CT would allow you to make SMC vanity plates for use on CT cars ... unless
I'm missing the point of this post.

Rob

Mike Goetzke
05-29-2008, 9:45 PM
Do you mean liscense plate frames? That sounds even better.

Randal Stevenson
05-30-2008, 1:04 AM
I think more then a few states would frown on (6 letters/numbers in MO):

S CREEK

curtis rosche
05-30-2008, 6:24 AM
like the ones to put on the front of the car, that dont mean anything official,

Jim Becker
05-30-2008, 7:35 AM
Folk, PA only uses official plates on the rear of the vehicle, unlike many states where they are front and back. A lot of folks like to tout their favorite sports team and other things with a front plate like Curtis asks about. I'm just mentioning this for context given the differences between each state in this respect.

It is possible for some organizations to get "official" vanity plates in many states, but they are typically non-profits/universities and the cost and commitment is high. But since many states also allow one to request a particular vanity "number" (alphanumeric up to 7 characters typically) one could construct something with "SMC" in it that is not already duplicated in that state.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Mike SoRelle
05-30-2008, 8:18 AM
Folk, PA only uses official plates on the rear of the vehicle, unlike many states where they are front and back. A lot of folks like to tout their favorite sports team and other things with a front plate like Curtis asks about. I'm just mentioning this for context given the differences between each state in this respect.

It is possible for some organizations to get "official" vanity plates in many states, but they are typically non-profits/universities and the cost and commitment is high. But since many states also allow one to request a particular vanity "number" (alphanumeric up to 7 characters typically) one could construct something with "SMC" in it that is not already duplicated in that state.

Jim
SMC Moderator

North Carolina and Kentucky are another two 'single rear plate' states, Ohio requires state issue front and rear as does Texas and California. Those are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

Virtually all states have laws about obscuring, but a normal vanity/hobby/dealer frame surround is almost always legal unless it obscures the tag number in some way.

If there was to be a SMC item, I'd think a frame would be the most universally appealing, my car for instance having been purchased in NC and moved to KY, doesn't even have a front license plate bracket.

That said, I'd gladly put a SMC frame around mine.

curtis rosche
05-30-2008, 9:29 AM
i didnt know that there where states that require 2 sorry for the confusion. still a smc plate would be neat, then you could hang it in your shop, or hang it from your mailbox if you are so inclined

Jim Becker
05-30-2008, 9:36 AM
Mike, I agree that a frame would have the most universal appeal since it could be used almost any place that uses US-sized license plates and allows the frames.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2008, 9:47 AM
Keith, I'm hoping you aren't doing anything that would lead to you making "Official" license plates!:rolleyes:

mike holden
05-30-2008, 4:40 PM
To all,
Plastic licence plate frames with artwork silk screened on, in quantities of 1000, are available for less than a dollar from places that offer personalized pens, beer cozies, etc.
Our bicycle club gave them out at our ride a few years ago, and our limit for the rider gift is one dollar. My wife is the publicity chair for the ride and selects the gift each year.
What would you have them say?
The bike club had the "my other car is a bicycle" on the top and "clinton river riders" on the bottom, with bicycles running down the sides.

How about "my other saw is a Wenzloff!" on top, and "Sawmill Creekers Rule!" on the bottom, with handtools down the sides. (can you tell I am a neanderthal? - Grin!)
Mike

Joe Petersen
05-30-2008, 5:53 PM
I do a little vanity plate casting. Thats what we call the front plate in a state that doesn't require 2. The hard part is the pattern making and now getting scrap.

http://public.fotki.com/petersenj20/oxygenbottles/picture006.html
Unpainted
http://hotimg3.fotki.com/p/b/74_244/10_76/Plate.jpg
http://hotimg3.fotki.com/p/b/74_244/10_76/Plate.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/petersenj20/oxygenbottles/picture006.html

curtis rosche
06-01-2008, 8:53 PM
gotta have a vortex plate

Stephen Edwards
06-03-2008, 9:00 AM
State issued license plates are required on both the front and rear of vehicles in appx 1/2 of the 50 states. Virginia and Texas are the only two Southern states that require front and rear plates. Most NE states do require two plates with a couple of exceptions. In the remainder of the country it's sort of a hodge podge! For example, Indiana and Michigan don't require two plates while Ohio and Illinois do.

I know this because we've been making personalized license vanity license plates (also known as custom auto tags) and personalized license plate frames or holders for years. We have a website where we sell our products but I'm not sure if I would be in violation of TOS if I posted the link here. A moderator might want to advise me of that.

We NEVER make plates or frames that would violate anyone's copyright. For example, I wouldn't be able to make SMC plates or frames without the express written permission of the owner of the copyright. I use that just as an example. Another example.....Ocassionally I get requests to make a plate with someone's name or two names and a Disney character. We're not licensed to sell Disney products so I don't make those plates.

I wanted to chime in with a bit of info on the issue of vanity license plates and frames since that's something I know a little bit about.

Kind Regards,

Dennis Peacock
06-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Personally, I'd love to have a front plate with SMC logo on it!!!!!!

How about a motorcycle license plate frame???!!!!!! I want one of those!!!

Keith Outten
08-03-2013, 11:34 AM
This is an old topic but I have decided to look into our options for both license plates and for the custom trim frames. I have laser engraved stainless steel trim frames many times over the years but there aren't any color choices when using Cermark to engrave stainless steel.

The company that is now providing the new hats and T-shirts can make color decals any size and a host of other products as well.

If anyone wants a custom license plate that is CNC machined from Corian I can make them but the cost would reflect the machining time. I can duplicate your State license plate style if that is what you prefer. Forgive the shameless plug but I am available to make custom shop signs if that is your pleasure. My sign company can laser engrave, CNC route and dye-sublimate Dupont Corian signs. We also have the capability to thermally bend Corian in just about any shape. My new web site has some pictures that might get your creative juices flowing and provide some ideas of what I am able to provide for your shop or your business. Signs from wood, PVC, etc are obviously available as well. I design and fabricate custom sign hangers and other metal projects as I have multiple bending machines and do Mig/Tig/Stick welding as well.

Robert Delhommer Sr
08-03-2013, 2:32 PM
Louisiana only requires a license plate on the rear. We can put whatever we want on the front. :)

ray hampton
08-03-2013, 6:28 PM
Louisiana only requires a license plate on the rear. We can put whatever we want on the front. :)

YES YOU CAN but will it stay on the front, the Rebel Flag is just one example of

Jim Rimmer
08-05-2013, 1:54 PM
There's an on-line site in Texas where you can order just about anything you want on a legal Texas plate. Use to be just the letters that spelled something. Now you can get all kinds of logos, colors, special interest, etc. I understand there is a database of forbidden letter combos and they check every request before making the plates.