PDA

View Full Version : Possible used Grizzly 1023 purchase

Matt Day
05-28-2008, 10:14 AM
I've got line on a 1995 Grizzly 1023 (right tilt, 3HP, 1ph, 2 x-wings, with a Grizz branded fence system) for $500. The current owner apparently bought it recently, then a week later got a deal on another saw and doesn't need this one.

Currently I have a Delta Hybrid which works just fine except through thick hardwoods where I usually have to do one slow cut which can burn then a second clean up cut. I can deal with that.

I rarely see a nice cabinet saw in my area, so I'm contemplating buying this and wanted your recommendations. Is $500 too steep for a 13 year old saw that can be had for $1000 or so now? I would hope I can sell my Delta for $300-$400. Or do I just have a tool-buying problem and I should keep what I have?

Steve Sawyer
05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
That sounds like a very reasonable deal to me, and I've never heard anyone complain about the 1023. It has a good reputation.

Sounds like a net investment of no more than $200 for you to upgrade to a true cabinet saw with some more horsepower.

I'd go for it.

scott spencer
05-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Deals like that tend to not last too long....go take a look to get your foot in the door, then make a decision based on what you see. $500 is a good price if it's in good condition.

Bob Aquino
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
My brother picked up a used Griz 1023 a couple of years ago. It came with a shop fox fence. Initially he was happy with it, till he had some miles on it and the weaknesses of the fence started to come out. It required readjustments every so often. I ended up giving him one of the 80 buck biesmeyers I found at lowes a while back and he is more than happy with it now. For 500, it doesnt sound like a bad deal, but you may look to upgrading the fence down the road. Griz quality has come up over the years, that saw is 13 years old, it may not be equal to their newer stuff.

Bob Hallowell
05-28-2008, 2:32 PM
If you like the fence on your delta better you can always swap them.

Bob

Cary Falk
05-28-2008, 3:37 PM
My brother picked up a used Griz 1023 a couple of years ago. It came with a shop fox fence. Initially he was happy with it, till he had some miles on it and the weaknesses of the fence started to come out. It required readjustments every so often. I ended up giving him one of the 80 buck biesmeyers I found at lowes a while back and he is more than happy with it now. For 500, it doesnt sound like a bad deal, but you may look to upgrading the fence down the road. Griz quality has come up over the years, that saw is 13 years old, it may not be equal to their newer stuff.

Bob,

Which SF fence came with it? I have the SF Classic and it works great. I have never needed to adjust it since I put it on.
Cary

Bob Aquino
05-28-2008, 3:42 PM
Bob,

Which SF fence came with it? I have the SF Classic and it works great. I have never needed to adjust it since I put it on.
Cary

This one :

Cary Falk
05-28-2008, 4:24 PM
This one :
I would probably try to stay away from that one also.

Curt Harms
05-28-2008, 5:16 PM
It had a crappy fence (jetlock knockoff not well executed) but the rest of the saw is solid. I put that fence on the Craftsman saw I was selling and life is good:).

HTH

Curt