PDA

View Full Version : Exocet hollowing tool

Kaj Petersen
05-28-2008, 7:51 AM
Hi.

Have a question about the Exocet hollowing tool.

I just received my new Exocet hollowing tool, but I'm have som problems with it.:confused::confused::confused:

Anyone in here having eperince with the tool. I would like to know about how to handle the tool.

Cheers
Kaj

Joe Meirhaeghe
05-28-2008, 3:30 PM
I don't have one but I have used one once. There was diffenetly a learning curve to it, & I didn't have to set the tool up either. It was set up by the owner of the tool at a demo. He said they can be a pain to get set up correctly.:eek:
I always want to buy one but couldn't justifie the price of a new one.
I've been looking for a used one for a long time but haven't found one.
If you can't get the hang of it & want to seel it at some point I'd like 1st chance at it. :)
Thanks Joe

Rasmus Petersen
05-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Seems like not many know this tool...

Bill Wyko
05-29-2008, 1:11 AM
Got any pics? Maby we can figure out the problem.;)

Kaj Petersen
05-29-2008, 5:54 AM
Hi.

Here is a couple of picutres of the tool.

Just want to know something about the experience... if any.

Joe Meirhaeghe
05-29-2008, 7:34 AM
You should be getting long ribons of shavings if tool is set up & used correctly.
Looks as if your getting little chips instead of long ribons.:eek:
Like I said in my 1st post I haven't set one up so I can't help with that. But the one I did use gave me shavings of long smooth ribons.:)

Kaj Petersen
05-29-2008, 7:48 AM
Hi.

The small chips are from another turning, and not made with the Exocet.

Cyril Griesbach
05-29-2008, 7:57 AM
Never seen one before but it looks like a far too highly complicated scraper.

Bruce Pennell
05-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Kaj your tool looks like a discontinued Glaser tool I bought used. Does your cutter swivel? Mine does, it takes a light touch, I've used mine in a light sweeping motion in or out. I prefer to drill a hole, and work the tool from the outside rim in to the hole. It's a nice hollow tool, but you have to watch for catches. It can get very aggressive very quickly. I put a line of paint on top of mine so I know which way the cutter is positioned, when you can't see it. Hope this helps, I know they are not the same tool. Good Luck and good turning...Bruce

sascha gast
05-30-2008, 12:18 AM
I have it and love it, so what you wanna know??

from the pic i'd say get the cutter out a tiny bit more, little more forward, that exposes also a bit more on the sides.

It is not a scraper, it's actually a cutter and I can't get the tool to catch.

shoot me an email or call my cell
310-753-6506

maybe I can help you

neil mackay
05-30-2008, 6:36 PM
Looks much like several other tools around on the net.

The shephard tool from Woodcut, Profome , Dieter Schimdt Beaver tool

Basically the guard is there to prevent catchs. On hard dry timber you would have a minimal gap ie 1/64 to 1/32 On green you can open it right up 3/32. If set up properly it will be hard to get it to catch.

The simplest way to learn is to set it up with the smallest gap and play around with speeds and feeds and slowly open it up as your confidence grows.

These sort of tools on green timber will remove timber at a very fast rate. If the lathe has the grunt and you can hold on to it. At this sort of turning, sometimes they will tend to self feed. But it readily over come and easy to regain control.

Kaj Petersen
06-01-2008, 5:23 PM
Hi all.

Than you for ansvers... just been trying the tool today without problems.

Peter Dattomo
08-03-2020, 1:46 PM
Looking for elliptical cutter 438245
for Exocet tool.

Peter

Peter

Don Frank
08-04-2020, 11:21 AM
if it's anything like a Pro-form tool a slow lathe speed works much better than a faster speed and cutting height is critical.