PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished it Critique requested

Brian Brown
05-28-2008, 3:03 AM
This is the bowl I posted earlier asking for advice on how to reverse chuck. I tried the donut chuck. Good thing I don't make my living from flatwork. The doughnut chuck took all day to build, and looked like heck, but it worked.

This is Russian olive burl, about 6.5 inches across and 4 inches tall. I sanded to 800, and finished with Danish oil. I'll probably put one or two more coats on. This burl was shallow, and I was trying to show off the best "burley" parts. Let me know what you think, especially on the form. Comments on areas for improvement are very helpful, and I have a thick skin.

Nick Welford
05-28-2008, 3:14 AM
Wow, Brian - that is really beautiful. I like the form as well as the patterned wood itself. A great piece.

Terry Quiram
05-28-2008, 5:20 AM
That turned out great. I love the effect the rings have when you look down on the inside. Its beautiful.

curtis rosche
05-28-2008, 6:14 AM
i think this peice looks great. the form looks good to

Jack Mincey
05-28-2008, 7:14 AM
Finish, form, and over all look is great. The wood isn't bad either.
Jack

jeremy levine
05-28-2008, 8:21 AM
Killer !, I like the form a lot. All the other aspects are also great.

Barry Elder
05-28-2008, 8:34 AM
Brian, you'll have to forgive me but I don't know how to critique a photo. However, since I really like almost any wood turning, if you send it to me, I'll be happy to submit it to a panel for a realistic critique! It may take a while, maybe 10 years or so, before I can get it back to you, so be patient! (Tongue-in-cheek!)

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2008, 10:28 AM
That is a beauty Brian. That wood is doing some talking. The rings in it are awesome.

Robert McGowen
05-28-2008, 10:49 AM
You can save the thick skin for another time, this is a very nice piece!

Nathan Hawkes
05-28-2008, 10:58 AM
That wood is talking to me too, Brian. It says, "you need to find some olive burl to turn....". Seriously though, you did a great job on it. I'm jealous!

Jim Becker
05-28-2008, 11:08 AM
I think you did a great job on this, Brian. You highlighted the burl really nicely with this particular form of natural edge design.

If anything, a slightly smaller base might be something to play with on the next one as it would lighten it up a little, but it's not critical in any way.

Brian Brown
05-28-2008, 12:17 PM
If anything, a slightly smaller base might be something to play with on the next one as it would lighten it up a little

Jim,

Are you suggesting a shorter base, or smaller base diameter?

Greg Just
05-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Very nice - love the grain in the wood

robert hainstock
05-28-2008, 1:18 PM
I try not to judge other peoples Art. Especially when ot is as beautiful as that piece. Anytime one can highlight the grain in a piece of wood in the way you have, it is simply "great". Kudos!:D:D:D
Bob

Bill Wyko
05-28-2008, 1:21 PM
Brian that is georgous in every way. Great work.

Keith Burns
05-28-2008, 2:34 PM
Brian, you have done a great job with this piece. It is well turned and your efforts show. I have to agree with Jim on the base. In my opinion the base needs to be smaller in diameter and even rounded under to provide lift.

Dennis Puskar
05-28-2008, 9:47 PM
There is nothing left for me to say, very nice.

Dennis

Richard Madison
05-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Well yeah, the base could be a little smaller and rounded into the bottom. But the real problem with the base is that I can not read your signature, Brian. That is a piece of which to be proud, and deserving of your signature.

Some folks prefer not to sign pieces of which they are not particularly proud (perhaps destined for "crafts" shows). Your bowl is not a craft show piece.

Brian Brown
05-29-2008, 1:21 AM
I tried to sign this one just before the pic. but the pen was dried up. Siggy coming when I get time to get a new pen. I am probably happier with the way this piece turned out than any other solid wood piece I have ever done.

Brian Brown
05-29-2008, 1:39 AM
That wood is talking to me too, Brian. It says, "you need to find some olive burl to turn....".

The wood that this was turned from is Russian Olive. As I understand it, Russian olive has about as much relationship to Olive as a Buick has to a tulip. About 40 - 50 years ago, the Fish and Game convinced farmers to plant these trees to increase habitat for phesants. Now we have millions of Russsian Olives, and not very many phesants. It is not a rare wood. Here it is considered a noxious weed. It is a very slow growing desert tree. This wood actually came from a golf course. When I got it, I didn't even know what a burl was. After I learned, I was excited to see the burls on the side of this tree. I see alot of them on RO, but almost all of them are the size of a golf ball, and a few the size of a baseball. Great if you are turning stoppers, but I haven't found any more bowl size. There was a second burl (smaller than a basball) right next to this one, and my wife took it and is making a small vase with it. It is really looking good. If I find another tree with large burls, I'm going to try and get it. Shouldn't be too hard... most people hate the stuff anround here.

Nathan Hawkes
05-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Wow. I didn't know that Russian Olive would grow that size; around here it is a shrub. It is definitely considered an invasive as far as I know around here as well. I just haven't ever seen any that large. We have Ailanthus as well, AKA "tree of heaven" or "paradise tree", which has similar grain to ash, but has an awful smell to it. I've never tried to turn any.

EDIT: if you have any more burls that you want to trade,.....I have a fair amount of really curly maple to trade.

Clancy Courtney
05-29-2008, 11:53 PM
It's a surprise inside! Beautiful bowl. Well done.

Brian Brown
05-30-2008, 12:15 AM
I love curly maple. I'll have to see if I can find some more largish burls. Just so you know, I have seen RO trees in this area that are as large as 24" diameter. They commonly reach 12"-16" diameter. Because they are drought tolerant, they grow very slowly. The trees that grow on farmers ditch banks grow large, because they get lots of water. I'll keep my eyes open for burls.

Tom Sherman
05-30-2008, 9:46 AM
Very nice piece Brian.

Jeff Hounshell
05-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey Brian, nice work.

Couple questions. 1) Did you turn this while the wood was green? 2) What is the final thickness of the walls?

Thanks,

Jeff

Brian Brown
05-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Couple questions. 1) Did you turn this while the wood was green? 2) What is the final thickness of the walls?

The wood measured about 12% when I started. I rough turned it nearly to dimemsion, because I thought it would add to the look if it warped. After a week, it measured 8%, so I gave it another week, and finished turned it. I re-turned and rounded it because it had hardly moved or warped at all. I don't think I took off more that 1/16 inch in the re-turn. The walls are about 1/4 thick at the top, and taper wider as they go down, because the interior profile doesn't match the exterior.

steven carter
05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Great job on the burl. I like the form and finish. The only thing missing is the signature!

Steve

Geoff Hanha
05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Brian nice piece, im not one for nature edge stuff, but now and then theres a piece that will catch my eye, and this is one that i like, i would'nt mind it sitting on my side. love the wood. Nice piece Brian..Geoff

http://www.shapewood.co.uk

Christopher K. Hartley
05-30-2008, 6:40 PM
Brian I really looked to do an actual critique but you didn't leave anything that I could see to help you with. I would say you did a class job on this one and can be very proud of it.:)

Jim Becker
05-30-2008, 6:52 PM
Are you suggesting a shorter base, or smaller base diameter?

Sorry...somehow I missed this question. I meant a smaller diameter. It's not "bad", but feels a little heavy to me as is for this particular form.

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Brian - very nice piece! Beautiful wood! You did a great job on showing off the grain! Love the photo work! Great color - but mostly I like your use of soft shadows. Great example of using shadow to give dimension to an object!

As far as critique of the form - I like the somewhat open vase form and if it were me - I would have the foot smaller - about half the present size. Just an opinion. You did good on this one and should be proud of your efforts!

Cary Swoveland
06-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Brian, I don't know how I missed this last week. It's a very nice piece--looks terrific. Cary