PDA

View Full Version : SWMBO's second bowl Critique requested

Brian Brown
05-28-2008, 2:43 AM
Well, she's at it again. Here is her second bowl, made from Russian olive. It is about 7 in. across, and 2.5 tall. Sanded to 800 and finished with danish oil. Please let her know what you think.

Terry Quiram
05-28-2008, 5:23 AM
Very nice second effort. With the shape of the bowl I would prefer the foot be much shorter or completely removed. Yours looks a heck of a lot better than my 2nd or 10th for that matter.

Barry Elder
05-28-2008, 8:40 AM
Agree with Terry! Inappropriate foot!

William Bachtel
05-28-2008, 8:46 AM
Great second bowl. Agree on the foot problem, but everything else is fine.

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Great looking bowl. Well done for her second bowl. The LOML likes the foot on a bowl. Tell her she did well.

Robert McGowen
05-28-2008, 10:45 AM
The bowl itself looks great! I like the accent lines in it.

I also think that the foot should go though. It just doesn't look proportional to the bowl, but I also think that the bowl would tip over it you actually tried to use it for something.

Let's see, you need to add a vacuum chuck for the foot, new tools, another lathe, more wood, etc. for SWMBO.
Hmmmm........ nice $2000 bowl!

Nathan Hawkes
05-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I have to agree with the foot. It was probably necessary to turn the bowl, but I'd shorten it a bit. I think removing it completely would be a mistake, but maybe a 1/4".

BUT, it is her bowl, and not mine. Beautiful bowl no matter what anyone thinks.

Jim Becker
05-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Ya, know...it always amazes me that folks turn these flat bottomed pieces with steep sides as "first" and almost first turnings. Frankly, they are some of the toughest to do right and invariably, they do a great job. It happened again here. Very nice work!

Greg Just
05-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I love the bowl - everything about it except the foot. Well done!

Jon Behnke
05-28-2008, 8:19 PM
I too am of the little or no foot opinion but other than that it's really nice. Interesting shape, I like the rim.

Richard Madison
05-28-2008, 8:59 PM
Aw, come on guys. From most normal viewing angles (not straight on horizontally) the foot is not visible and helps the piece "float" above the surface a bit. I sometimes use a small foot for that purpose, but limit the height of same to 1/8" max. If only the first picture was shown, we would never know it was there.

Paul Engle
05-29-2008, 9:16 AM
Maybe, if on the next one she used a recesse or mortise, the " foot " can be very very shallow and blend better with the shape of the bottom. Nice work actually Brian. I like the detail lines near the rim.

Keep Idaho Green ...
Bring MONEY :D

Claude Arragon
05-29-2008, 10:45 AM
second turning ???!!!???
well, I think I should considering packing up my tools... and dedicate my time to some other activity :D
Very nice and precise turning.

Cary Swoveland
05-30-2008, 1:18 AM
That's a beautiful piece, Brian, but why are you showing it? I hope the misses (name?) will become an active contributor herself. As for the foot, I like it the way it is, but if you use the bowl to serve food, you may have to explain to guests the importance of keeping the center of mass close to the center of the bowl.

Cary

Brian Brown
05-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I keep trying to get the LOML to start her own account, but as she says, "I am only going to turn a few things now and then". Of course she says that after having commandeered my lathe, mounting up her first hollow form, and telling me I can't touch the lathe until she is finished with that and all the things she wants to make for Chriatmas gifts. :eek: Oh well, I needed a new hobby anyway. :(

Jerome Hanby
05-30-2008, 10:30 AM
That sounds like a great opportunity! I always have problems knowing what to get my wife for Christmas, Birthday, etc... You can get her a lath for Christmas and then buy accessories for each new occasion for years!

I actually got away with buying my wife a Tile Saw for Mother's Day using that logic. I think I'll be able to sleep in the house again any day now :o

I keep trying to get the LOML to start her own account, but as she says, "I am only going to turn a few things now and then". Of course she says that after having commandeered my lathe, mounting up her first hollow form, and telling me I can't touch the lathe until she is finished with that and all the things she wants to make for Chriatmas gifts. :eek: Oh well, I needed a new hobby anyway. :(