PDA

View Full Version : Blum tandem mock up drawer

Steven Bolton
05-27-2008, 9:07 PM
First experience I have had with the Blum Tandems. I think the instructions could be written more clearly.

The illustration indicates 1/8 inche, but my drawer is inset about 3/32 of an inch in from the face frames. I could move them closer. I intend to use an overlay drawer on my project.

Is it a problem having the drawers set back that much, or even a little or is it academic when you use an overlay drawer?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Steve Bolton

David DeCristoforo
05-27-2008, 9:23 PM
Put a shim behind the drawer to stop it at the point where it would stop if there was an overlay front. If the "detent" still works, you should be OK. I usually only set the glides back around 1/16"

Steven Bolton
05-27-2008, 9:39 PM
David, is that 1/16 inch with the Blum Tandems?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Steven Bolton
05-27-2008, 9:46 PM
Also David, would not the overlay drawer act as a stop?

Steve Bolton

David DeCristoforo
05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Yes, 1/16" with Blum Tandem glides. And yes an overlay will act as a stop. But if the glide is mounted too far back, the "detent" may not fully engage and the drawer may not fully close. All I was saying is to block the drawer to make sure it closes completely. But you could do the same thing by attaching a front to the box. Since this is a mock-up, all you need to do is determine that everything works right.

Chris Friesen
05-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Also David, would not the overlay drawer act as a stop?

Yes, but then you have stress on the joint between the drawer front and box each time you close the drawer.

Jay Jolliffe
05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Just move the slides forward the distance you need. I do as David I leave it shy about 1/16"

Steven Bolton
05-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Does the front of your drawer (the interior front and the wood part, not the outside drawer overlay) match up exactly with the front metal part of the Blum slide?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

David Werkheiser
05-29-2008, 7:33 AM
Steve, What Chris said about stress on the drawer front is a concern over time, unless you are using their soft close system "Blumotion". Blum also has a depth adjustable locking clip (T51.1700.PV) that allows up to 3/16" of out adjustment. I use these clips on inset door jobs alot.
David Werkheiser

Steven Bolton
05-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Steve, What Chris said about stress on the drawer front is a concern over time, unless you are using their soft close system "Blumotion". Blum also has a depth adjustable locking clip (T51.1700.PV) that allows up to 3/16" of out adjustment. I use these clips on inset door jobs alot.
David Werkheiser

I don't think I can afford the Blumotion without a second mortgage. I assume I can find out about the depth adjustable closing clip on line.

But the property way to do the Blum slides is to have the drawer flush or within a 1/16 of an inch flush with the face frame is what I am gathering here. I don't think that should be a problem

Thanks

Steve Bolton