PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to work with sugar maple ASAP

Craig D Peltier
05-27-2008, 7:13 PM
Hi, I have some maple 5/4. Planed it down to 4/4 sat in shop two weeks stacked. Then sent to mill which there it sat maybe 4 weeks. Finally custom knife came in and he basicaly cut it into a half round like a convex, im making mitered kitchen doors with the stock.
Now I have about 30 sticks 8 feet by 3 inch wide in my living room. Its not humid here in the NW.They wont bend though being so thick and 3 inches.
Do you think they will warp etc if I dont use them real quick. Id like to work on them in about 4 weeks. Im rebuilding my kitchen.
I cant stack them anymore due to there shape. There just lying there on the carpet. You think I should try and stack them maybe 5 wide?

I know its best to use them now which I usually do on every other project. When its your own you know how that goes, when I can get to it.

Thanks

Mark Kosmowski
05-27-2008, 7:49 PM
Was it dry when you first got it?

David DeCristoforo
05-27-2008, 7:59 PM
Stack them "round side up" with stickers placed every 2 feet across each layer. Then place a piece of plywood on the stack and put your couch on top.

Frank Drew
05-27-2008, 9:22 PM
Craig

I'm assuming this is dried stock, and assuming I understand your question -- I'd bundle them all up and use flat twine (that non-adhesive tape) at the ends and middle to fasten them together; being bound in to each other the whole bundle will keep the individual boards straight.

Craig D Peltier
05-27-2008, 9:46 PM
Stack them "round side up" with stickers placed every 2 feet across each layer. Then place a piece of plywood on the stack and put your couch on top.

Will my washer and dryer work just as well? I can use the clothesline ,its summer up here finally.

Thanks for the advice. I will bound them up or stack them proper.

yes it was KD maple.

David DeCristoforo
05-27-2008, 10:15 PM
"Will my washer and dryer work just as well?"

Better. More weight and you can still sit on the couch.....

Craig D Peltier
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I got 5 12 packs of coke (for my jack daniels):D and 170 lbs of weights on it. Should keep it nice I hope till I get to it.

David DeCristoforo
05-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Keep the JD away from the wood. That sugar maple might leach into the whiskey. No point taking any chances....

J. Z. Guest
05-28-2008, 8:19 AM
Seems like overkill to me. I'd probably just stack them in alternating directions, skip the stickers, and not use so much weight. It should be pretty much stable by now. The only thing you need to worry about is if the shaping done by the mill released some tension in the wood. (which it sounds like it hasn't)

I don't think you need to wait another 4 weeks.

Greg Cole
05-28-2008, 8:49 AM
And if you have a front loader like ours, it weighs about 400 lbs.
Just might be enough weight. ;)

Greg

Craig D Peltier
05-28-2008, 9:24 AM
Seems like overkill to me. I'd probably just stack them in alternating directions, skip the stickers, and not use so much weight. It should be pretty much stable by now. The only thing you need to worry about is if the shaping done by the mill released some tension in the wood. (which it sounds like it hasn't)

I don't think you need to wait another 4 weeks.

4 weeks is earliest I can get at all of them.
My living room wont allow me to stack them 8 feet square anyhoo.
I did look down a few, some have bows, some have curves , some dont.At least this might help for the meantime.
Thanks