PDA

View Full Version : Deck stain

Rich Stewart
05-27-2008, 6:17 PM
Anybody got any idea the best deck stain made? I have been using Sherwin-Williams. It used to be Cuprinol. Then they changed it to something else and then something else. Now it seems like I don't even get a year out of it. Anybody got a favorite?

Thanks,

Rich

Matt Ocel
05-27-2008, 6:46 PM
Rich -

Try this, its spendy but worth it.

www.sikkens.com

Rich Stewart
05-27-2008, 9:30 PM
Too slippery. Also sounds too labor intensive with two and three coats. Thanks anyway.

Lee Schierer
05-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Try this stuff. I haven't tried it as my deck is now composite material.

soy based stain (http://www.soyguard.com/products/stainsealer.aspx)

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Sikkens is supposed to be good.

I've had good luck with Cabot Australian Timber Oil. We get so much direct sun on the deck though that I still need to do it every other year ("need"....but I usually only do it every 3rd). At some point, the mohogany is coming off and some sort of composite is going on...

Jason Roehl
05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Anybody got any idea the best deck stain made? I have been using Sherwin-Williams. It used to be Cuprinol. Then they changed it to something else and then something else. Now it seems like I don't even get a year out of it. Anybody got a favorite?

Thanks,

Rich

AFAIK, the Cuprinol product is still sold by Sherwin, but under a different label. They have several stain formulations, and I think the Cuprinol eventually became DeckScapes, but I could be wrong. I've always heard good things about Cabot stains, but have no experience with them. Come to think of it, I haven't done many decks in recent years with semi-transparent stains. Too bad, too, because those usually only last a couple of years (job security... :D )

If you're looking to do a solid-color stain, you really should strip off everything that's there and sand before applying a couple coats of a solid-color deck stain that's rated for foot traffic. (Stripping wouldn't be bad for a build-up of semi-transparent stains, either). There are several good deck strippers out there. From what I can tell, the main ingredient that works is sodium hydroxide.