PDA

View Full Version : Need more lathe info

Wolf Kiessling
04-10-2004, 3:28 PM
I had pretty much made up my mind to buy a Vicmarc VL300 lathe but had some unexpected financial problems come up so that high end piece of machinery is out, at least for the time being.

However, I was at Woodcraft a couple of weeks ago and looked at a Jet 1642 with the electronic variable speed control and 2 hp motor and got thinking this is not such a bad piece of equipment.

I am now asking if anyone has any knowledge of , and can give a good, valid comparison between both the Jet 1642 (with the electronic variable speed control and 2 hp motor) and Powermatic 3520A.

The main difference as I see them are:

1. The PM has a 20” swing while the Jet only has a 16”.

2. The PM has 34.5” between centers while the Jet has 42”.

3. The PM weights in at 650 lbs (a big plus) while the Jet comes in at 420 lbs.

4. The Jet has 36 position indexing (a big plus) while the PM does not have it.

5. The PM I would have to purchase at Craft Supplies for $2700 plus shipping, but no tax, while I could purchase the Jet at Oklahoma City for about $2000 plus tax, but no shipping.

My initial reaction is to lean toward the Jet because of the indexing feature and lesser cost even though I like the heavier weight of the PM . The swing and between center distance does not make too much difference to me because I’m not sure that I need a 20” swing and probably would never need 42” between centers. I guess what I mainly need is some info regarding quality of construction, ease of use, reliability and probably customer support in case of machine problems. My other option is wait until next year to purchase the Vicmarc but I’m not sure I want to wait that long.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Steven Wilson
04-10-2004, 4:04 PM
Get the Powermatic. Want cheaper than $2700 plus shipping? How about $2495 - shipping included !! http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/

Richard Allen
04-10-2004, 5:05 PM
You can make your own indexing. A vicmark chuck has 24 point indexing built into the back of the chuck. I would not say that 36 point indexing is a feature that would be of much value in selecting a lathe. 50 lbs of steel would be worth more in a decision, to me, than 36 point indexing.

Thanks

Stefan Antwarg
04-10-2004, 6:28 PM
Does the weight of the Jet include the cast iron legs? Because if you are planning on getting the iron legs, they are over 100 pounds. I have the 1442 which use the same legs and I added 250 pounds of sand with an easy to install shelf between the legs.

Just something to think about

Stefan

Harvey Meyer
04-11-2004, 8:46 AM
Wolf -
2 months ago I went for the PM3520A. Shopped around and got the best deal from toolnut.com. Paid $2150 with no tax. Freight charge would have been about $100, but I avoided that by picking it up at the Jet/PM warehouse in Lavergne, TN.
Harvey

Ken Salisbury
04-11-2004, 8:57 AM
I have a 1642 VS and absolutely love it. I sure would like to use it more, however I haven't been doing much larger turning stuff since I have become consumed by the FPP.

Dominic Greco published 2 excellent articles on the 1642 which are worth reading:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/6/

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/7/