PDA

View Full Version : drill press / jointer mobile base

Mark Kosmowski
05-27-2008, 5:58 PM
I made a mobile base for my jointer and drill press (DP) this weekend.

In my shop, the DP lives between the bandsaw and the jointer along a half-wall along the stairs to the basement. I like to use the DP table for bandsaw outfeed support, but sometimes the bandsaw gets in the way of drilling into long boards. Being along the halfwall, I use my jointer at an angle to the wall - this way the outfeed doesn't go into the bandsaw, and the infeed comes from an empty corner of the shop rather than a mechanic's cabinet. For boards longer than 4 - 5' I like to move the jointer a bit - this is related to an ultimatum from my wife that started with, "If I stab myself in the belly with that steel thing sticking out while bringing up the laundry one more time ...!"

Hare are the necessary pics:

In the side pic, I have put in arrows to denote not immediately visible caster locations. The dotted line is where I am thinking of cutting the base. Do you think I will need to put the removed caster along the dotted line somewhere or will the five remaining casters be good enough? (I have one caster at each corner and one in the middle of each long edge - the base is two 1/4 sheets of 3/4" plywood laminated together.)

Randal Stevenson
05-27-2008, 6:47 PM
In my personal opinion, I would cut along the dotted line (preventing, "if I cut my ankle on that (censored) thing one more time"), move the caster to the middle, under it, and add a lip all the way around (just a tiny bit more protection).

I like it!

Mark Kosmowski
05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I think I will do that, but maybe I'll have the caster a little bit closer to the right side of the jointer base, like a 1/3 / 2/3 ratio. The left side rests almost directly over the middle front caster, but the right side is a bit forward of the right rear corner caster.

Stephen Edwards
05-28-2008, 7:11 PM
Mark,

This is a great idea. I like it a lot. Looks like you've thought through it very well and have came up with a solution to suit your particular setup and needs.