PDA

View Full Version : First HF

Bruce Pennell
05-27-2008, 4:06 PM
Well I need some HF tools, could only get about 9-10" deep. It's pine, 12" tall, about 2" opening. Finished with miniwax stain, sanding sealer, and Deft. This was my first try at a HF. Can anyone suggest a good HF video, I'm thinking of Lyle Jamison's," HF made easy". Time to call Randy for some tooling. Thanks for looking.....Bruce
As always comments are welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2008, 4:29 PM
Bruce - Congrats on your first HF! I do have to warn you though - they are extremely addicting! I have no idea on hollowing videos... I've always just figured it out as I went along. Looking forward to seeing your next hollow form!

Bruce Pennell
05-27-2008, 4:39 PM
Thanks Steve just talked to Randy. Do you use the Monster Hollow Form (http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html) with the laser? How deep can you go? Randy and I talked about the HFLH, that way I would have the captive system with laser and the handle. Can you recommend anything else. Randy said you and Bernie both used the system, I remember reading the thread about it, you and Bernie both seemed to like it. Must be very popular Randy told me he had about 6 on order, it would take a few weeks to get. I told him good things are worth waiting for. Thanks again for the info and comments....Bruce

Keith Burns
05-27-2008, 6:55 PM
Bruce, you can't go wrong with Randy's tools. First rate. I already had my Jamison captive rig copy before I found Randy. Did get his Laser though and it works great. I've never watched any videos but I would think Lyle's would be a good one. Nice little HF too!!

Don Eddard
05-27-2008, 7:01 PM
The Jamieson DVD is a good intro to using a captive rig, and will probably save you some learning curve time.

And yes, Randy's tools are worth waiting for. ;)

Bruce Pennell
05-27-2008, 7:06 PM
Thanks Keith do you use Randy articulating arm set up or just the laser on your Jamison set up? What I'm wondering is the combo system of Randy's is only $200 more than I'd have it all....Captive system and articulating system. I read the articulating system is only good for 8" or so deep. I just hate to spend $500 to find out I should have got the whole package for $725. Bernie, Steve, Keith, anyone else using both captive and articulating systems, any advice would be great. Going to wait a few days to make up my mind, Randy said it would take a few weeks to get a order made up. The last thing I'm in is a hurry any more....Thanks for the help...Bruce

Bruce Pennell
05-27-2008, 7:09 PM
Thanks Don I was looking his website up just now to order his DVD.

Keith Burns
05-27-2008, 7:33 PM
Bruce, I only have the Jamison clone and it can do any size basically. However I spent an afternoon with the articulating system and really enjoyed using it. I think it is easier to use on the smaller stuff. Someday after I win the lottery I will probably get one. If you are only getting one, I'd go with the captive but if you are getting a good deal, get both.

Bruce Pennell
05-27-2008, 7:36 PM
Thanks Keith I'm having a hard time figuring out which way to go. I know I want the captive system, but I'm on the fence about the articulating arm set up. Thanks for the advice...Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2008, 9:47 PM
Bruce that is a good looking HF. Bruce I have both the captive rig and articulating arm unit from Randy. I wish I he would have come out with the arm unit first but such is life. I like both units and both have their advantages. The arm unit is good to 10" to 12". The captured unit will do deeper and bigger units. I do use both all the time. On Randy's site he has a video on the arm unit. Go to the bottom of the mini hollowing unit page.