PDA

View Full Version : Text Accent Question

Frank Defert
05-27-2008, 2:45 PM
Hi All,

I am working on an awards nameplate order that requires an accent ( from right to left ) on top of some of the letters. I am looking for directions on how to achieve this in corel 12.

Thanks .... Frank

James Stokes
05-27-2008, 4:13 PM
Go to text menue, then insert charactor. Then find the one you want to insert.

Richard Rumancik
05-27-2008, 4:27 PM
The insert method may work fine for you. Another method is shown here:
http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html

This shows the "ALT-plus-number followed by alpha character" method.
(This is the general method for all Windows programs.)

Some fonts won't have accent options. If no accent is available, you may need to construct your own.

WARNING: if you move text around you can get into trouble if the accent you created is a "loose piece". I would suggest you convert text to curves, group, or lock it somehow so you don't make an error as a result of editing.

Last year a local company made hundreds of items for our local (French Immersion) school (sandcarved mugs, water bottles etc) for high school graduation. They got the accents wrong and ended up replacing everything. Check and double check . . .

Frank Defert
05-27-2008, 5:35 PM
Thanks James And Richard.

I used Richard's link to get detailed instructions and learn. Then went back and applied what I just learned to James' method. Both worked as they should.
Sawmill Creek the number one resource for all that is lasering....

Thank you .... Frank

Frank Defert
05-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Another text question,

This time I am looking to underline just one letter in a word. The word I am working with is Axe,

Caital A with accent
Lowercase x underlined
Lowercase e plain

The A and e are fine just can't underline just the x. More instructions please....

Thanks Frank

Gary and Jessica Houghton
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I have X3, but I hope this will still work for you. Highlight just the X. Go to text button at the top of your page. Click on character formatting. This will open a box and you will click underline. Pick one of the options. It will let you underline just the X.

James Stokes
05-30-2008, 1:29 PM
I Think if it was me, I would just use the polyline tool.

Frank Defert
05-31-2008, 1:36 PM
Thanks for all the help...

Gary And Jessica,

You can do that in Corel 12 as well but I had to find the break text apart function as well, or it would underline the whole word because I couldn't only highlight the x. If I only used an x it would always default to uppercase after the underline. There should be a way to turn that off.

James,

Took me a bit to find the polyline and it did work but when I went to look for it again I couln't find it .... more practice required

In the end I was able to do what needed to be done and the job was completed. Thanks again.

Frank

Richard Rumancik
05-31-2008, 7:29 PM
. . .I had to find the break text apart function as well, or it would underline the whole word because I couldn't only highlight the x.

I don't know why you had to break it apart. Were you in the actual text editor? (Text ->edit text then highlight the SINGLE character and underline). It works for me. You can change font size etc in the middle of a word if you wanted.

If I only used an x it would always default to uppercase after the underline. There should be a way to turn that off. Sure is. You have quickcorrect turned on. Go to tools->options->text->quickcorrect Then uncheck "capitalize first letter . . . ". (Look at the other options in quickcorrect and spellcheck while you are here.)