PDA

View Full Version : New Used Bandsaw

Todd Miranda
05-27-2008, 2:34 PM
I spotted this 18" import bandsaw on local Craig's list this morning, but I really can't find any information about it. According to the label its made by Elephant Tools Model #WA-18 2HP 220V. I believe its about 12 years old and solid cast iron. Anyone have any experience with this saw?
It appears to be taken care of very well and the previous owner is quite the professional. I already bought it just looking for some feedback or helpfull hints.

Todd

Shawn Honeychurch
05-27-2008, 2:44 PM
That's a nice looking bandsaw, what was the price, is it gloat material?

Barry Reade
05-27-2008, 2:59 PM
I spotted this 18" import bandsaw on local Craig's list this morning, but I really can't find any information about it. According to the label its made by Elephant Tools Model #WA-18 2HP 220V. I believe its about 12 years old and solid cast iron. Anyone have any experience with this saw?
It appears to be taken care of very well and the previous owner is quite the professional. I already bought it just looking for some feedback or helpfull hints.

Todd

Looks good!! When you get it home and check it out let us know. I hope it is Gloat material also.

Jeff Duncan
05-27-2008, 3:27 PM
Can't help you with any specific information on that brand, but it looks like your standard Asian knock-off. Get yourself a good book on bandsaws and you'll be good to go. If you need parts in the future there's a fair chance you may be able to adapt something from a similar machine.
good luck,
JeffD

Barry Reade
05-27-2008, 4:49 PM
I have two Bandsaw books. "The Bandsaw Book" by Lonnie Bird and "Band saw Handbook" by Mark Duginske. I like the "Band Saw Handbook" better and think it is a much better book.

Jeff Miller
05-27-2008, 5:16 PM
Here's one for sale too.

I doubt you paid that much.

I think it's probably a gloat:D

http://www.exfactory.com/detail.asp?recnum=SB-280388&prev=SB-011021&next=SB-010906&mfg=&code=&UFOBREGION=&Page=&Viewed=1&FNListings=0&FNsubcat=0&showSpecWriter=0&numPics=2

http://www.exfactory.com/seephoto.aspx?photo=SB/28038802.jpg&recnum=SB%2D280388

JEFF;)

Todd Miranda
05-27-2008, 6:57 PM
Thanks for the book links I will check those out!

After some consideration I decided to recruit some help and borrow a trailer to haul it home, hopefully tomorrow it will stop raining and we can move it. The manual list it at 440 lbs. and I just can't imagine my 17 year old son and myself loading it in back of my truck.

As far as Gloat....With all due respect to the previous owner I offered him his asking price of $125 over the phone as soon as it listed. I believe we both got what we wanted. I did not get the chance to see any of his finished work but from the looks of his shop and the manner of his business he is a Top Notch Woodworker!!!!

Randal Cobb
05-27-2008, 7:03 PM
$125 for an 18" bandsaw? Um... that's a HUGE gloat in my book! Especially if the motor runs!

Curt Harms
05-28-2008, 6:38 AM
When I had a import Band Saw from that era-mid to late '90's the only problem I had was the blade guides. They were what appeared to be die cast zinc and the threaded fittings were pretty soft. I twisted off the threaded part that held a guide block without much effort at all. Other than that I had no problems with mine. Most of the parts are readily available or can be adapted with a little ingenuity. 18" saw for $125 is certainly gloat worthy. Enjoy it.

Curt