PDA

View Full Version : Allwood?

Dick Bringhurst
05-27-2008, 1:53 PM
Looking at hardwoods today at a store and found "Allwood" in various colors. I had never heard of it. The clerk didn't have any info on it.

Anyone know what it is? DIck B.

Larry Crim
05-27-2008, 1:59 PM
Maybe it was short for alder wood, never seen anything called allwood.
Larry

Mike Hoyt
05-27-2008, 4:01 PM
I think I have seen it at my local Rockler and if I remember correctl they said it was a "renewable" South American hardwood that has been dyed to look like several popular species. It was interesting looking stuff, they showed me a couple of cut offs and the color does go all the way through the board. IIRC it was being sold in the $4 bdft range.

Gary Muto
05-27-2008, 4:55 PM
The description I saw on Allowod was that is was impregnated with a resin that would stabilize it. I don't remember exactly, but I was thinking that it softwood. They never metnioned any species or even it the was hard or soft. It looked like colored Pressure treated pine, spruce or fir to me though. Very expensive at $4/bdft.

David DeCristoforo
05-27-2008, 4:57 PM
Well I've never heard of "Allwood" but I have heard of "s'notwood" which also comes in many colors....

Richard M. Wolfe
05-27-2008, 6:08 PM
I was in the Borg in a neighboring town this weekend (actually found some screws I was looking for) and looked in the wood section and found some plywood called Blondewood and that's a new one on me. I meant to ask about it but forgot and probably would have gotten a blank look anyway. (Looked but didn't find any Brunettewood or Redheadwood :D).

Dick Bringhurst
05-27-2008, 8:04 PM
Gary, after posting the question I called the store and the manager said it was Australian pine impregnated with a resin. he also said he was not sure if the resin was toxic or not. I wanted to use it in a cutting board. Think I'll pass. Dick B.

Ron Dunn
05-27-2008, 8:15 PM
Australian pine is pinus radiata.

I can't find any mention of an Australian processor with a brand-name of Allwood, and I've not seen any resin-impregnated timbers other than plys and laminates. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it isn't something common in Australia.

Think I'd pass.

Joe Spear
05-27-2008, 8:19 PM
The spelling is Allowood" not "Allwood." If you Google Allowood, you will find a good description of exactly what it is. Rockler carries it. It might be good for some uses, but personally I think it looks kind of artificial.

Mike Langford
05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
They call it Alowood in this article: http://http://www.building-products.com/readArticles.aspx?ID=1335

It's softwood with an wood additive.....made from corn and soy proteins. Water-based dyes are also added for color.....

Joe Spear
05-28-2008, 4:48 AM
You're right, although Allowood pulls up the article on Google about what it is.