PDA

View Full Version : Older Lenox TriMasters - Deal or No-Deal?

Doug Shepard
05-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Although the moderators appear to have smacked the ad with their TOS cudgel, some of you may have spotted the 1" 3 TPI Lenox Tri-Master ad for $95 ea a week or so ago, and that Mike's thread referred to (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=85047). I was meaning to see if these would fit my MM16 but then Mike pointed out that I could get them cut/rewelded for cheap too. So after looking at the ad and pics posted on another site, I'm debating whether to buy or not. I'd been thinking 2, but now maybe just 1, or maybe none?? These aren't the Vari-pitch design and are apparently from before the metal reformulation that had a number of early Tri-Master posts indicating that these shouldn't be used on a MM16, though I dont recall seeing posts saying anytning other than "...they're not recommended". I've got the newer variPitch TM on my MM16 and couldn't be without it. The price would seem to make this a No-Brainer, but if the MM16 wheels are too small for this and cracks develop, it might turn out to be not so smart. Any MM16 owners here that used the older TriMasters with +/- comments? Whaddaya think - Deal or No-Deal??

Cameron Reddy
05-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. My impression was that older Tri-Master blades were not really recommended for wheels smaller than 20 inches.

Cameron Reddy

Mike Spanbauer
05-27-2008, 1:07 PM
I'm going to gamble anyway Doug. The older formula tri-master did not last as long as the new version does (I've cut 2k+ feet of veneer with my current 2/3 trimaster on my MM16.)

For the price even after welding being less than 1/2 of the new blade price, I'm willing to bet it'll be a decent value.

mike

Steven Wilson
05-27-2008, 1:32 PM
Lot's of folk's use those on MM16's. A very few haven't lasted as long as expected but most have been in service for quite some time.

Charlie Plesums
05-27-2008, 3:06 PM
Lenox has a new carbide blade, the Woodmaster CT (be sure you use the CT in the name... there are non-carbide Woodmaster blades). The price is nominally 60% of the trimaster. I have both, with the CT currently on my saw. The CT has a slightly thinner kerf, and the cut quality is comparable.

The Woodmaster CT has the new technology band, so the concerns about a 16 inch wheel are less than on the older TriMasters.

The Woodmaster CT only comes in 1 and 2 inch blade widths, while the TriMaster has a much larger selection of blade widths.

Mike Heidrick
05-27-2008, 7:01 PM
This is the new CT blade Charlie mentioned. It was about $80-$100 cheaper than the trimaster from MM, but still $60 more than these trimasters Greg has. Looking close at the second picture you can see the teeth on the CT. It is a sweet blade. Lenox corp said that the CT was a good blade but the trimaster is a great blade. We will see.