PDA

View Full Version : granite tile

Bill Morrison
05-27-2008, 9:17 AM
I know I can cut the tile with a wet tile saw but how does one go about shaping one? I want to make some curves in one but have never worked with tile, other than installing it. Also, I bought some absolute black grantive from a big box store to practice on but when I looked closely at it I noticed that there were remnants of the black still remaining. I was trying different settings for my 30W Accuris and my wife really liked it when I finally created an image so am I being too picky. The remnants are really small flecks of black, is that normal. I did some searches on the forum but this wasn't addressed. For now I used an old rule of thumb. After 18 years of marriage if my wife is happy, so am I.

Bill

Lee DeRaud
05-27-2008, 9:25 AM
Without knowing your settings, I'll say that it's a lot more likely that you're using too much power than too little: just the nature of the beast. Try running some gray-scale test strips to see what works, and don't be surprised if 100% speed and a really wimpy power setting is your best bet.

Flip it over and look at the back side: that's as good as your engraved area can ever get without colorfill. Rubbing with a small quantity of white artist's oil paint does wonders.

Bill Morrison
05-27-2008, 2:34 PM
I was running at 100% power, I'll do the test strips.

Thanks
Bill

Lee DeRaud
05-27-2008, 4:05 PM
FWIW, I'm using 100% speed, 25% power on a 25W ULS machine.