PDA

View Full Version : From bowls to.... more

Claude Arragon
05-27-2008, 2:34 AM
It is quite fascinating to see the evolution of wood turning in various countries.
In France, the French association of wood turners, AFTAB, asks its member to submit up to three pieces to a jury which makes a selection of what represent the evolution of traditional wood turning towards "art".
Though the name of the french association is "association of art wood turner" the word art was used to differentiate this kind of turners from the then many industrial ones.
I find that the choice couldn't have been more accurate when I see all these pictures taken by FRED during the traveling exhibition in Revel.

Such an exhibition, shown in many location in France certainly is a nice way to promote our common passion.

Have a good dream trip

http://www.la-truciolara.com/forum/AFTAB01T.jpg (http://www.la-truciolara.com/forum/Aftab1.htm)

Scott Hubl
05-27-2008, 2:46 AM
:cool: Cool, Thanks for sharing.

A link I will save for sure.

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2008, 8:56 AM
Thanks Claude! That's some very interesting work!

Paul Douglass
05-27-2008, 9:42 AM
WOW! I can't say I thought they were beautiful but certainly unique. Everyone had me thinking - how they dio that!!

Thanke for posting that, gets a person really thinking out of the circle!

Lee DeRaud
05-27-2008, 9:44 AM
Thanks Claude! That's some very interesting work!First reaction: second that.

Second reaction: just because something is (partially) made of wood and has some curved surfaces doesn't make it "woodturning". It's certainly art, but a lot of these pieces appear to have had a rather minimal percentage of lathe time involved.

I tend to think that artwork is overcategorized most of the time anyway, and it certainly doesn't help when things get stuffed into a category because of some vanishingly minor aspect of the production methods used. I keep thinking pieces like this should be in some larger (and much less specific) category like "mixed-media sculpture".

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks for sharing Claude. Interesting pieces.

I also don't see a whole lot of turning in some of those. Great art work with a lot of sculpting but doesn't look like a lot of lathe time.

Richard Madison
05-27-2008, 8:52 PM
Claude,
Ditto what they said. It is certainly art, if somewhat removed from turned wood art. Saw many pieces I liked, and some not so much. Bottom line-- does it sell?