PDA

View Full Version : A couple of bowls

Terry Quiram
04-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Now that the table project is out of the shop I am finally getting to use the Stubby. Here are 2 of 6 bowls turned yesterday. The first is a piece of Box Elder 4 X 2, 1/16 wall. Sprayed Deft gloss. Lots of neat worm holes. The next one I turn I will oreintate in the opposite direction. The next is Catalpa. It had some of the weakest, non-descript grain color I have ever seen. Treated with one coat of Watco Golden Oak. Not sure I like the color yet. I need to apply a couple more coats and wet sand. 7 X 3, 3/8 wall.

Dean Baumgartner
04-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Terry, Beautiful bowls. I especially like the coloration in the box elder bowl. LOML commented on how nice it looked and that she wished I could make her something like that too. But I know the world is flat!

John Miliunas
04-10-2004, 11:07 AM
But I know the world is flat!

Terry, the Box Elder is really trick! One 'o these days I'm going to get my mitts on some of that stuff! The Catalpa is kind of unique in its own way BUT, how can you stand turning that stuff?! :confused: The smell would drive me right outta' the shop! :D

And Dean, you need to take a road trip out to Bear Valley! I'll prove to you that the world is indeed round! For the most part. OK, SOME of the time! Really, you need to try spinning sometime! It's fun.

BTW, did you ever get those replacement rails for the BW and, if so, are they straight? :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
04-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Terry, the Box Elder is really trick! One 'o these days I'm going to get my mitts on some of that stuff! The Catalpa is kind of unique in its own way BUT, how can you stand turning that stuff?! :confused: The smell would drive me right outta' the shop! :D

And Dean, you need to take a road trip out to Bear Valley! I'll prove to you that the world is indeed round! For the most part. OK, SOME of the time! Really, you need to try spinning sometime! It's fun.

BTW, did you ever get those replacement rails for the BW and, if so, are they straight? :cool:

John, I respectfully refuse to join your delusion, the world is FLAT.

I did get the replacement rails a week ago Friday. The small back rail is great, the larger front rail still has about 1/16" of bow but it's workable.

Dean

John Miliunas
04-10-2004, 12:03 PM
John, I respectfully refuse to join your delusion, the world is FLAT.

Wait just a minute there! I thought the Illinois contingent were the "flatlanders", not us Cheeseheads! :D

I did get the replacement rails a week ago Friday. The small back rail is great, the larger front rail still has about 1/16" of bow but it's workable.

Dean

Glad you got that taken care of. I guess, as long as it doesn't cause to bind on anything, it should be OK. Maybe it's Bridgewoods way of telling you the world IS round...You know....Taking the curvature of the land surface into account and all that! :D :cool:

Tyler Howell
04-10-2004, 1:19 PM
OOOOOOOOOh I Like- I Like.

Wolf Kiessling
04-10-2004, 2:16 PM
That is one fine looking piece of box elder.

Having said that, I, myself, like catalpa. It may be that I have a lot of it around and it doesn't cost anything. I both carve and turn it. Someone said they can't stand the smell. I have gotten used to it so it doesn't bother me any more (not that it ever bothered me a lot). Some say it smells like dog crap, I think it resembles vinegar more.

Dick Parr
04-10-2004, 2:54 PM
Very nice Terry!

Jim Becker
04-10-2004, 4:14 PM
"Most Excellent", Terry! I too, especially like the box elder piece...the worm holes add some additional interest to an already outstanding turning. Nice form and continuous curve...just the way I like them!

Chris Padilla
04-12-2004, 11:30 AM
The grain on the Catapla is like totally rad, Dude!! :)

Paul Downes
04-13-2004, 3:44 PM
Nice boxelder collander!

Fred LeBail
04-13-2004, 9:44 PM
Nice looking bowls. I am not familiar with Catalpa but I am with Black Ash. Here is one I turned recently. The grain looks quite similar. I thought for a minute that it was my bowl.
I hope the pictures do justice.
Fred

Terry Quiram
04-14-2004, 7:17 AM
Fred

The Catalpa bowl weighs about 3 oz. The wood is very light. Your Ash bowl is very nice.

Terry